Problem with Stayer SDS Drill

I bought a Stayer SDS drill (PD24) a couple of years ago from Screwfix, having seen it recommended in quite a few threads on this group (they don't seem to sell it any more). I've been very happy with it so far. Unfortunately it now seems to have developed a strange fault. It only works when oriented at certain angles. For example, if I hold it in the 'normal' upright position, with drill bit horizontal, and squeeze on the trigger, nothing happens. If I now tilt it downwards, so the bit is towards the floor, it starts. Tilt it up again, it stops again. Again, starting from normal position, if I rotate about the axis of the bit until it is on its side it starts, but only in one direction (if I rotate the other way it doesn't work).
Any ideas what it might be and how easy it would be to repair?
Does anyone know how easy it is to get these drills serviced?
Assuming the worst and it's not worth repairing, what are the current recommendations for cheap SDS drills?
Thanks for any advice.
Ian.

Brushes worn out? My cheapo SDS drill from Homebase came with a spare pair of brushes which seems to indicate that they are likely to wear out.
HTH Dave R

I work for Screwfix and if you phone the Contact centre and ask to speak to the tech dep if the drill is out of warrinty then they will give you Stayers phone number for you to get advise

Broken flex? Used to have to shorten flexes quite regularly as the cable breaks within the insulation, often where the flex enters the drill housing. Instead of moving the drill around, try moving the flex while the drill is switched on. If it is the flex, it ought to be straightforward to remove all the screws holding the two halves of the drill together, remove the flex, shorten or replace and reassemble.
HTH, Chas

Yes - got in one. Thanks!
I had originally jiggled the flex about when I noticed the problem, but I obviously wasn't doing it hard enough. I got side-tracked by the consistency of the effects of tilting the drill as I described.
Anyway, now fixed and as good as new.
Thanks,
Ian.