Problem with Shower

Hi all, girlfriend has had a shower fitted recently, the mixing bar type, the cold water supply to the shower has been plumbed into the mains cold water feed. The plumber fitted a single pump to the hot water supply because the cold water pressure was too great to allow the hot water into the mixing bar of the shower. But because the pressure of the cold water was so high, it wouldnt allow the flow switch in the shower to operate. The plumber solved this by putting a water pressure reduction valve onto the cold water feed, which has worked and the pump now operates. The problem which has occurred since then, is that when the pump is not operating the cold water is entering the mixing bar and is forcing its way through the pump and is backfilling the cold water tank in the loft, and therefore is overflowing constantly. I suggested that putting a check valve/one way flow control valve onto the hot water line to stop the cold water forcing its way through, i think this would be an easy solution. But my partner has spoken to a reputable plumber and he says this is just a short term fix and he wont do it. Can anybody tell me if this check valve would fix the problem, and if this is the case, why is the other plumber suggested this is only a short term fix.

thanks Neil

Reply to
Neil

Yes, you should have a double check valve on both sides anyway. The main problem with the solution is that if the pump switching is already marginal, it may stop working. This can usually be solved by blipping the bath tap, if the plumber was sensible enough to also pump that, and you have a shower over bath arrangement.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I thought double check valves on both feeds were a legal requirement. But wouldn't a venturi type shower have been a better solution than a pump anyway?

Reply to
dom

It is probably a requirement on the cold supply (or one of those hose restricter abominations). However, I would have thought that the air break at the cistern would be enough to meet the water regulations on the hot side.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I had the same problem with my shower that I plumbed in myself. I fitted a check valve in both the cold and hot water feeds to the shower if I remember rightly, and this fixed the problem

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain