Problem with radiator tails

I'm having problems with a new bathroom radiator/towel rail in getting the tails to seal properly into the rad. The tails seemed quite a loose fit and despite a fairly liberal application of ptfe tape there is still a bit of weepage which is now starting to stain the floor tiles, so I need to do something about it. Unfortunately the floor has electric underfloor heating, embedded in some (now solid) latex goo, plus the tile cement, and the pipes to the rad are pretty well immovable. I can get the rad off ok, but will need to ensure that the tails, when refitted, project exactly the same amount.

Any suggestions on sealing the tails - Fernox LX, Plumers Mate, Boss White, yet more ptfe, etc?

Thanks for any advice. David.

Reply to
DavidM

================================== You could use old fashioned hemp + Boss White instead of the PTFE tape. Hemp has more 'body' than tape.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Or new-fashioned stuff that's like dental floss but thicker and made of some combination of nylon and PTFE

Reply to
John Stumbles

Last time I did this it was new tails into 30 yr old rads (thermostatic valves), and I used what I had to hand - hemp and LSX. This old/new combinarion was easy to use, and worked a treat. Hemp is very good at gap filling in threads, so might be good for your problem, and LSX is clean and effective as a sealant.

Charles F

Reply to
CJF

When I put my radiators in, I used the white PTFE. Started off with

10 turns. If that didn't tighten up before the tail screwed all the way in, I'd strip it off and do 12 or 15 turns, depending how far off it was. They were then all air pressure tested for leaks before the system was filled with water. I don't think I had to reseal any of the tails (only some of the compression fittings).
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Get some of the gas ptfe tape - its much thicker. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I always do a number of turns, wind it in until tightening, then remove and ADD more turns on top (the first ones having been driven into the threads. Never had a leak yet.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Seconded.

Reply to
PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Picked up some hemp from the plumbers today, will have a try with that and Fernox when I go back next week. David.

Reply to
DavidM

Shouldn't need any PTFe on a new tail to new rad fitting .. only on the male thread into the rad

But if you do have a problem joint .. the answer is often LSX ... seems to work wonders

Reply to
Rick Hughes