Problem with Potterton Promax 15 HE boiler. Ignition lockout

Boiler now seems to lock out but only after is has reached it operating set-point. That is it doesn't lock out if either of the thermostats (cylinder and room) switch it off first. The CORGI registered installer/maintainer (it's four years old) has now replaced the igniter and sensor and both the main control PCB and the Ignition PCB have been swapped out and so we are pretty sure it is none of those. I'm wondering if the safety cut-out is operating before the setpoint is reached.. Perhaps we should start measuring the temperatures. I guess by closing down all the TRVs we could speed the process up a bit. He's loath to hang around all day. Or could the control thermister not be functioning in and allowing the boiler to overheat. It's currently set to operate at the factory set point of 82 degrees. If anyone else has had this problem with this boiler I'd like to hear their solution or suggestions.. Michael

Reply to
Michael Shergold

Follow-up: In case anyone has similar problems

A second person was also experiencing exactly the same symptoms and over a week ago we conducted various tests and experiments measuring maximum temperatures and checking thermister values etc.. This duplication encouraged my Corgi man to phone Pottertons and at their suggestion on Nov5th evening he came and inspected the combustion chamber door seal and found it to be leaking. Coincidentally the other person had also decided to take off his combustion chamber door and found that there were large gaps in the sealing strip. Both Boilers have now been re-sealed and are back in test mode. It is all looking promising as we have at last found something promising. Curiously my Promax locked out again twice during next two days day but not after a long heating spells as before. It has now remained lockout free for the last week now, so the jury must still be out on whether we have eventually determined the ultimate fix to this boiler.

There are still significant questions though: How did both CORGI engineers miss this during the annual service or at the very least not investigate this when called back to investigate the problem?. (no doubt the seals was damaged before or during the service. Both boilers had been working faultlessly until the annual service. ) The Potterton service manual supplied with this boiler is pretty poor, (decision blocks with no real decision)! The combustion chamber seals come low down the list after changing almost everything else. Do boiler manufacturers like Potterton not have any further contact with installer/maintainers or customers? The spares supplier said that these door seals were often ordered! I've written 'Check firebox door seals' in large letters for the engineer next time. Michael

Reply to
Michael Shergold

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:13:21 -0000 someone who may be "Michael Shergold" wrote this:-

You are assuming that the CORGI con has anything to do with quality and workmanship. It doesn't.

I have met some excellent workmen who are registered with this organisation. However, when I tried to get an incompetent struck off the words of CORGI over the phone, almost word for word, were, "we are not interested in the technical competence of someone's work, only in whether they have paid their fees."

Reply to
David Hansen

"Consequently, the CORGI badge is now a guarantee of quality, making it the standard to look for when employing a tradesman. We can help you find an installer in your local area who is qualified to work in your home - use our find an installer tool."

Michael

Reply to
Michael Shergold

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:50:45 -0000 someone who may be "Michael Shergold" wrote this:-

I certainly wouldn't trust them with anything. I have seen some of their members in action.

Reply to
David Hansen

In message , David Hansen writes

Ha, rant time then...

Yesterday

"I'm not sure whether it's the gas valve or the PCB"

"Have you checked whether you have mains to the gas valve"

"No, it's at the back and difficult to get at"

There were actually a couple of other goodies last week, but some ice cream has just arrived ...

Reply to
geoff

In message , Michael Shergold writes

Ah - mixing business with friends / relatives, always a bad move

You DIY instead

Reply to
geoff