Problem with mozilla

Well it was relevant to me when running my app. Where are they located?

Reply to
Tim Streater

There *will* be an outgoing server (since thunderbird does not do its own MX based routing and does not include its own SMTP server). However that does not preclude a bit of malware sat on one of your PCs that does have its own SMTP engine built in, from punting out spam and bypassing your email setup via plusnet's smtp server.

If that sends spam to a honeypot machine run by one of the spam blacklist firms, it will get your machines IP address (or more correctly the IP address allocated to your router by plusnet) onto the spam blacklist. Once that happens, your real email client will have difficulty getting messages sent via the official SMTP server - since that will check the blacklist

Reply to
John Rumm

Which if you are running a spam sending a bit of malware, will promptly get that address blocked again! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Cos they want to run Exchange usually...

Nonsense...

(there are *loads* more)

Reply to
John Rumm

+1

However its worth noting that depending on which plusnet account you originally buy, and also how long you have had it, you may well get allocated a static IP - they used to hand them out by default.

(in the OPs case, a reverse lookup on his IP maps to

189.179.229.80.dyn.plus.net, rather than his account username in the form username.plus.com, so he probably does have a dynamic IP)
Reply to
John Rumm

I see. I've never known ISPs to check their own clients against blacklists before relaying out (which I think is what you're saying). It looks like things have moved on since my day :-) I used to be an Exchange MVP (it's only awarded year-to-year) before I started having children, so I used to know about these things. Nowadays, all I know about is, well, things to do with kids.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

what do you mean 'where are they located'?

All over the place. Applications don't have 'a place'. Not in Linux, or indeeed windows, and its a bit artificial if they have in OSX too...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Postfix is nice, and runs on OSX.

And I run it on FreeBSD.

Reply to
Bob Eager

BUT you run it on freeBSD.

Windows is all chrome and tailfins on a a cart spring and solid axles chassis.

OS X is all chrome and tailfins on independent suspension.

Linux and BSD are the independent suspension chassis with custom bodywork options ;-)

Chrome and tailfins are not essential.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is normally your isp getting one or more of its mail servers listed for spamming or some other nasty crime. The only answer usually is for the ISP to get it unlisted. This is why it can be very handy to have several portable email addresses like google and Yahoo, as at least you can let friends know what is going on. I'd find it hard to see any reason for this message which is caused locally on your machine.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

He obviously likes to shoot messengers before the facts are in. :-)

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Many thanks for all you replies. I think that is was possibly IDNet, this morning it is working fine. Again many thanks to you all, though to be honest a lot of the replies were over my head, however I appreciate the help. cheers

Reply to
Broadback

If you are with IDNET they do static IP addresses by default.

Except the address that offended was a Plusnet dynamic pool address. So that does not compute.

Another long shot is that the DNS of the relay you were using was hacked and pointed at a spambot temporarily.

The most likely explanation is that you are now on a different IP address, which will get blocked in due course if you are still harbouring conficker.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which aspects of OS X constitute "chrome and tailfins", in your opinion?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Do you really have to ask?

Quartz compositor and its friends

Like the dock.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How does the dock differ from the taskbar or whatever it's called in Mint? I have a python script, which yesterday I marked as executable and put in the Mint taskbar. I then tried clicking on it. Nothing happened.

I don't see anything wrong with the dock, except nice would be to reduce its translucency. I've moved it to the left of the screen and reduced its magnification. I have all my commonly-used apps and docs there.

If the dock is all you're complaining about then it's a bit of a yawn.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The taskbar as you call it is not compulsory.

I have a python script, which yesterday I marked as executable

What made you think that it would? Because that is what happens in OS/X?

Why dont you? Oh. It's chrome and tailfins you cant get rid of....

I've moved it to the left of the screen and

I think you don't even understand what the quartz compositor is.

Chrome and tailfins is useless bling that you cant get rid of that just slows the thing down.

Windows is all about that.

OSX pretends its actually slightly useful bling, and 'sophisticated', to attract the more fashion conscious and snobby.

Linux has plenty of it, but you don't *need* to use any of it.

Some people run linux as a console, and if they want a graphical application, they type in its name to start it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Without it, where do minimised windows go?

If something is executable, a dock/taskbar is a handy place to put it for easy access. Like there seems to be in the Mint taskbar (not that I knowingly put it there) an icon for system update. So that not unnaturally leads me to assume that I could put an app there too. Under OS X, I just drop it on the dock. Simples.

I find the dock to be a handy feature. So handy, that I can live with its one undesirable feature.

I don't, really. But then I've never needed to. Just got on with using things.

Let me know when you find some and we can talk about it.

Certainly there is by default shitloads of flashing stuff that took me a long time to turn off, the one time it looked like I was going to use the machine for any length of time. I didn't have my sunglasses with me.

That must be some other OS X you are referring to. I haven't noticed any bling. Neither do I see any mention of blingy stuff on Mac ng's or forums. Discussion is about apps, for the most part.

You are Dave Plowman and ICMFP.

Well whoopee for them. I prefer the mouse.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Since you have made it abundantly clear that you know sod all of relevance about any version of windows in the last few years, why do continue to embarrass yourself by repeating the same tired old twaddle in public over and over?

Yes we all know win 3.1 was crap - get over it.

Have you installed Win Server 2012 R2 any time recently? In "core" mode

- no default services installed, no GUI, no "bling" - drive everything from the Power Shell...

Same for windows, if that is what you want.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why not? (This is a question, NOT a criticism of your post.)

Reply to
Phil