Problem with mozilla

This morning when attempting to send messages from any email (I have a number) to any address I get this error:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied. For further information and delisting procedure, please see

The messages into the sent box, but is not received. Any ideas please? I am running under windows 10, both have been stable for some time.

Reply to
Broadback

And you think this is a problem with Mozilla because...?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Where does your mail client send the mail to? That server has blocked your IP, because your client IP has got itself onto a blacklist for sending spam.

Following that link shows that it's on one particular blacklist, because it's infected with a botnet trojan.

If your machine isn't - and be VERY sure about that - then speak to PlusNet (I'm assuming you're a PlusNet customer, since that's a PlusNet dynamic IP address).

Reply to
Adrian

I did not write that is was a problem with Mozilla just that it is a problem.

Reply to
Broadback

Reply to
Adrian

It's saying that your mail server is on a blacklist that the recipient organisation has subscribed to. I assume you don't run your own SMTP server at home (because if you did, this error message would mean more to you than it appears to), so it probably means your ISP is actually blacklisted, which is unusual.

Is that IP address 80.229.179.189 your domestic IP address? It sort of looks like one, so maybe you are somehow sending email out directly by SMTP from your home network? If so, you'll have to use your ISPs SMTP servers as a smart host.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I realise too late that the heading th at I blame Mozilla, whereas the text does not, sorry for the confusion.

Reply to
Broadback

Well you could always try what it says! ".... please see

"

As I understand it, for whatever reason, the mail server/hub from which you are trying to send your E-Mail has been blacklisted for sending too much spam. That's your ISP or other mail provider, whoever that may be.

Reply to
cl

The problem is with your ISP, Plusnet:-

inetnum: 80.229.128.0 - 80.229.191.255 netname: PLUSNET-DIAL-ADSL descr: PlusNet plc.

IP Address 80.229.179.189 is listed in the CBL. It shows signs of being infected with a spam sending trojan, malicious link or some other form of botnet.

It was last detected at 2016-05-09 10:00 GMT (+/- 30 minutes), approximately 7 days, 1 hours ago.

This IP is infected (or NATting for a computer that is infected) with the Conficker botnet.

Reply to
Martin Barclay

It looks like you're trying to send email direct from your PC, rather than via Plusnet's email server, not many places will accept email from IP blocks that are adsl or dialup (as that IP address indicates) and especially if someone else within the same block has been sending spam and got the block blacklisted.

If you configure thunderbird to use relay.plus.net you should be ok.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, its saying that a machine on his network is on the blacklist, not the server (which will be a plusnet machine in this case)

Following the instructions given by the CBL page would be worth doing:

John Rumm

As others have indicated, first check you don't have a trojan running on any device on your network.

If Plusnet are like any othe ISP with dynamic IP address, I suggest you switch off your router for 10 minutes or so, and after switching on hope you might be allocated a new "clean" IP address.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I suspect that relay.plus.net will be blocking his connection because a machine on his IP appears on the blacklist. Whichever machine that is may have been attempting to route email directly without going via plusnet's SMTP server and thus managed to get onto the blacklist in the first place.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, it's starting to look like there is no outgoing server, and that the mail client is sending out direct. I just hadn't imagined that happening, since it seems unlikely to be reliable nowadays.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

He means what SMTP 'relay' or 'smart host' are you sending it to?

You should not be sending direct...

It is most likely that your machine IS infected. Dynamic IP addresses are reassigned but infrequently.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IF you are using mozilla THUNDERBIRD to send mail, you CANNOT send 'direct' but must always uses a smart host.(SMTP) relay)

Unless you have a Linux machine acting as a mail relay on your domestic network, what that message means is that your SMTP relay has detected the fact that your IP address has been sending spam, and is blacklisted at spamhaus.

Unless you have multi0le machines on your domestic network, that means your PC is infected.

It is appertently te Conficker worm. # To remove it

or take the PC to a competent windows de-louser. (if there are any).

Better still, install linux and erase windows from your life.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ITYM 'a machine' - why would it have to be Linux?

Sweeping generalisation.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Why on earth would anyone build a mail server on OSX or on Windows?

Educated guess.

There simply isn't MTA software for windows except Exchange, and who runs that at home?

And I have never ever seen a Mac used as an MTA ever.

The point being that anyone smart enough to to know how to use Windows or OSX as MTA would be smart enough to know not to.

Why make a rod for your back?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because OS X is what I have here.

So what?

Why not? OS X comes, or seems to come, with the components needed (I'm assuming that smtpd, postfix, sendmail, are relevant). Just like it comes with apache and PHP, too (unlike Mint, as far as I could tell).

Now, I seem to recall reading that for reasons I've now forgotten, Linux is better than OS X for process switching, which would probably make it better for a production server, but for low-level home use that probably doesn't matter. Those same reasons may make OS X a better desktop machine, for all I know.

I'm wouldn't be going to bother trying to run another OS on a permanent basis if I wanted to make my OS X file-server also be a mail server. Not that I have any intention of doing so - I don't even have a static IP address - but if I *did* want to I'd be asking on one of the Mac ng's rather than here, anyway.

Reply to
Tim Streater

So you confirm that you have a mac and you are not running an MTA on it?

Mac users are not the sort of people who DO run MTAS.

Oh and Mint does come with apache and PHP. Not that its releavent to anything

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher