Problem with lining paper joins

About 6 months ago I lined the walls of our spare bedroom with lining paper and painted with matt emulsion. After a few weeks I noticed the joins between the paper on one of the interior walls (partition type) were opening up. I duly filled them and repainted. However, they keep reappearing. Every

4 weeks or so I have to fill and paint. The gaps are only about 1/2 mm, but are very noticeable. Any ideas what is going on and how to stop the gaps opening up?

Thanks

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Barnes

The natural expansion in the wall might be the cause. When the house cools at night with the heating off, everything shrinks and when the house heats up again it all expands.

Reply to
BigWallop

Is this gaps increasing or just the edges of the paper lifting? Probably difficult to tell at sub 1mm but I'd suggest lifting the paper gently with a scraper, and using a pva glue. Use a fine abrasive to get rid of the previous filler and try again, preferably with a fine surface filler.

Reply to
stuart noble

I have a similar problem in the living room, where wallpaper will "part" even though it was first put up correctly. There is some sort of nasty green paint (war era) which I suspect is to blame, and i`ve heard other people mention having the same sort of problem with it.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"stuart noble" scraper, and using a pva glue. Use a fine abrasive to get rid of the

No problem with the adhesive, edges aren't lifting, just the gaps.

Think i'll wait till they get big & fill!

Cheers

Reply to
Andrew Barnes

"Andrew Barnes" wrote

Don't use lining paper ?

My walls were pretty rough with some dodgy 50's paint on them, but after a session of painting & filling X 2 and a final touch up, no lining paper needed.

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

blame, and i`ve heard other people mention having the same sort of problem with it.<

Reply to
gamemaniak

oh i know that horrible stuff very well, i scraped it also, although i used a shovel and went down to bare bricks to ensure thorough removal ;)

Reply to
David Hemmings