Problem with lifting wallpaper

My daughter has some wallpaper peeling away. I've tried the paste especially for this that comes in a tube, I find it useless. The problem is the wallpaper is quite stiff and simply peels away again immediately. Any suggestions please? Perhaps I should apply ordinary wallpaper paste, leave for 5 minutes to make the paper pliable, as when papering, then stick down. Any successful ideas would be most welcome.

Reply to
Moonraker

It is hard to get it to work satisfactorily, there's always a bit that doesnt get stuck. Probably best you can do is work the paste well into the gap, and hold it flat with a bit of polythene, some nwewspaper, bit of wood and a stick to the opposite wall/chair/etc while it dries.

NT

Reply to
NT

Fear not - a solution is at hand!

The patent pending, guaranteed to work TMH method of re sticking curly bits of wall paper is......

No Nails!

Or any brand of solvent free grab adhesive. Apply to wall, use a seam roller & wipe off any excess with a damp cloth. Works a treat.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I thought you'd recommend WD-40, Dave...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The stuff in the tube will work; the problem is it that the paper needs to stay in contact with the wall while it sets. So arrange a way for this to happen - either lean something heavy and flat against it, or maybe use low-tack masking tape to stick it down temporarily: I've used that method successfully, but you do need to be sure the masking tape won't damage the wallpaper when it's removed, so as they always say: test it out somewhere first where it won't show!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Did you try spraying it with water first, to make it flexible? Or is it vinyl something?

I did a similar job recently: spray wallpaper with garden sprayer, then coat wall with Poundland wallpaper paste (came in a sachet) made up far stronger than the recommended mixture. Apply paper and squeeze out the lumps. It's done a surprisingly smooth job.

But shame that the act of stretching the paper detached a bit more from the wall, where there wasn't paste underneath so I now have a ripple far from the edge. I don't really want to take the much-abused paper off again. Could inject paste through a needle, I suppose...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Double sided tape. Sticky side facing out. Tuck behind lifted edge and press against wall. Trim along seam with rule and blade. Use knife to tease away backing. Peel away backing and smooth against wall again. Any bits too tight to get tape behind can be dealt with using Sean adhesive or PVA. Hth.

Reply to
Dean Heighington