Problem with latexing subfloor

Having removed parquet flooring and the bitumen/asphalt adhesive that it was installed over, from a back room, I have latexed the floor back up to level with the screeded floor of the adjoining extension. This took a lot of latex as the room measured about 15sqm.

The trouble I'm having now is that the existing concrete subfloor slope downhill, away from the extension, towards the doorway into the room. I left the latexing with about 1.5m to go, before reaching this doorway. If I bring it all up to level with the extension floor, I will end up with a significant 'step' up, into the room!

I was thinking about how I could tease the latex down a gradient to meet more with the threshold level, without producing a bounce in the engineered oak flooring that's going over the top of it, but this is hard with latex as it wants to find it's own level!

I want to try and diminish the slope as much as possible, so that it doesn't notice too much, but a bounce in the floor would be much worse.

I know I'm trying to cheat this... can anyone offer up any suggestions, tips to help?

Thanks very much. d.

Reply to
deano

deano wibbled on Monday 07 December 2009 07:54

Good - not removing the black crap would have come back to haunt you.

How much of a step?

I'd go with a step and lose it in a chamfered threshold strip (solid wood), which is what I'm doing here where I have changes in levels.

Presumably you have level changes elsewhere as wood flooring has noticeable thickness, plus the underlay.

Reply to
Tim W

Yes. Although I did use Arditex NA + aggregate which was good to use on a subfloor that had the black crap... their tech guy said "get as much as you can off, as long as what's left is hard, the gear will stick to it, without much problem"... but it sure was expensive, and made me cautious enough to spend 2 days with an SDS comb chisel bit, getting as much as I could off... bloody awful job it was too!

About 30mm!

Yes! Looking like this might be the way I'll go. Decision has now been made to replace the crappy laminate in the hallway, with more of the stuff I'm putting down, which will help a lot with the levels!

Not too bad in this room... I battened across the room each metre away from the extension floor and latex up to the battens, which helped me slope the floor a bit, as the batten kept a uniform thickness as I moved back... some undulation, but nothing a decent underlay can't cope with!

Thanks for the response Tim. rgds, d.

Reply to
deano