Problem with 'gritty' feel to a Franke mixer tap

The utility room sink in my mother's house has a Franke mixer tap on it. It's probably about 20 years old. Last time I looked I could see no model number. I think it might be this:

The lefthand control has become stiff, quite hard to turn; to me it feels as if there may be some grit in the mechanism, and perhaps if I strip it and clean it the problem will go away. The tap still turns on & off ok and isn't leaking.

But I have a disassembly problem. Referencing the parts shown in the diagram at that webpage, I prised out the coloured cap (2) and then undid the screw under it, on the lefthand control. I expected the lever part (3) then to come off easily, but I cannot move it. I tried gripping the lever part in my fist and pulling it to the left, and I also tried wiggling a fine blade screwdriver into the narrow gap between the rotating lever part and the main body of the tap.

I also took the cap & screw off the righthand side of the tap, and couldn't then free the lever part at that side either.

I was afraid to try what might be excessive force to remove the levers, not knowing if I might damage something.

I see from the list of parts that an allen key is mentioned; does anyone know what that is for?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

My Franke tap looks very similar but only 10 years old, a Davos model IIRC. I just took my lever (3) off with no problem once I removed the screw under the cap (2). The shaft has a parallel spline, so I suspect you may have limescale jaming it. Try a bit of percussion to crack the limescale and/or injecting some limescale remover in there.

Here's some pics of my cartridge dis-assembly (once you have got it out the tap!) from

2005

I don't recall needing that.

Reply to
Phil Addison

Thank-you!

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

I have one of these taps.

Allen key loosens screw 4. That allows you to lift off the spout to change the "O" rings 1.

As for the knobs 3 mine practically fall off once the cap and screw have been removed. It's probably scaled up try a gentle thump but be careful as it would be easy to damage the plastic lever.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar