Problem with 'digital terrestrial (TV) receiver

My g/f has a Matsui Digital Terrestrial Receiver (model DTR1). It seems to have a fault.

If you configue it to send a full-screen picture to the TV, it only works for a few seconds before the picture vanishes and you get a "No Singal" message.

Changing the channel (up or down) and then back again, restores the picture

- but only for a few more seconds.

However... If you set the thing to "Channel List", it gives yopu a list of the available channels, plus a small pucture (about a fifth of the size of a full-screen). In that mode, there is no break in the signal, and the picture remains continuously.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong, and if it is easily fixable?

Thank you.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

There's your problem ^^^^

Reply to
Gazz

In message , AL_n wrote

Maybe... Wrong format for the TV? Maybe the box is configured to send NTSC (the USA system at 60Hz) rather than PAL (the UK 50Hz standard). The are some similarities between the two standards, such as the same timing per line, to which the TV will attempt to synchronise but after a fraction of a second it will detect that it is not a valid signal and give the no signal message.

How is the box connected to the TV? SCART cable? HDMI lead? Aerial lead?

Reply to
Alan

Alan wrote in news:Wf$ snipped-for-privacy@amac.fs.com:

A SCART lead. I tried a different SCART lead, but same result.

Reply to
AL_n

Alan wrote in news:Wf$ snipped-for-privacy@amac.fs.com:

Scart lead. The user manual

in the specs that the output is PAL 4:3 / 16:9

Al

Reply to
AL_n

On ALL channels? or just some...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:j1sgpk$44l$4 @news.albasani.net:

All chennels. I've also discovered it's an intermittent fault. Sometimes it happens; sometimes it doesn't.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

In message , AL_n writes

I reckon the box is faulty, time for a replacement I think

Reply to
chris French

In message , chris French writes

My sister in law has one of those, bought after two other piles of junk were taken back to the vendor (begins with Cu).

It was awful and should have been returned as well, but by then we had all had enough. Totally impossible to set it up properly here so that BBC1 =1, BBC2 = 2 and so on in the order we wanted with the abysmal transmitter planning here.

I'd use any excuse to replace it with something better.

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news:hIUvxRWmNqQOFwG4 @itsound.demon.co.uk:

OK - thanks. I'll pass on your recommendation. Like you, she can't get BBC channels on it either. I just wish I knew how to identify what qualifies as 'something better'. Something with good ratings on Amazon.co.uk perhaps...

I think she paid £1 for the Matsui one, at a car boot sale... ;-7

Al

Reply to
AL_n

She was robbed..

rusty

Reply to
John

"John" wrote in news:j1umgq$hlr$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

I think it might be a signal strength problem. Sometimes, no channels are detectable. Other times, only radio channels, and other times still, only French channels!

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Weather related? How old is the downlead from the aerial? My "favourite" problem with mine is a dodgy connection at one of the plugs. Disturb it slightly for perfect results until next time. Sometimes, just treading heavily on the floor nearby will do it.

Reply to
John Williamson

John Williamson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Thanks for the input. I think it may be weather-related. There seems to be best rreception when there is no wind. I'm not sure how old the arial is, but I guess about 20 years old.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

That's likely to be the problem, then. Cable glands and boxes aren't perfect seals, and the moisture can get in, even if only as vapour, condense on the joints, and they fail. Wind movement will show up any imperfect joints.

There's also the way that a number of digital multiplexes are on the edge of the group that the analogue ones are on, so an aerial that *was* set up well is now marginal.

Reply to
John Williamson

In article , AL_n scribeth thus

Sounds like movement in the aerial could either be causing interfering carriers i.e. ghosting which normally doesn't have that much effect on Digital reception or possibly water in the feeder cable which can do that as well.

Bout time for an aerial replacement or upgrade perhaps?..

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , AL_n writes

Connectors also make a big difference. If you haven't already got them get yourself a decent gold plated aerial lead and scart lead.

Reply to
hugh

In message , hugh wrote

To match the gold plated connectors the manufacturers fit to their boxes. And, if fitting F plugs, not forgetting to gold plate the inner core of the cable.

Reply to
Alan

SCART connectors are tin-lead and you should not mix gold and tin-lead connectors. You end up with unreliable connections if you do. Don't believe the cr@p you read in magazines about gold making quality connectors, it only does so if both the connectors are designed to use gold.

Reply to
dennis

Holy muthafuckas..time to get a decent aerial sorted out..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher