Problem with Central Heating / Boiler Cutting Out

Hi everyone

My central heating system is playing up and I plan on calling an engineer on Monday morning unless it turns out to be something i can sort myself.

I have a closed central heating system. When my boiler turned on this morning, it started making some strange clicking and banging noises then cut out - doesn't sound good!

Firstly, I have had a problem for a while now where if I put on the hot water only, it overheats and cuts out. If I put on only the central heating, or both, then it works fine. It's been suggested that I need a new mid position valve, but I have never bothered figuring it out, I just keep both the HW and CH on.

Whether these two problems are related, I have no idea! There are two pipes going to/from boiler. After turning the boiler on for ten seconds, one was roasting hot, while the other was cold. I figured maybe there was an airlock in the boiler. I tried bleeding from the uppermost point, right next to the boiler, with the boiler turned on. I ended up alternating the boiler off and on, all this time, with air coming out of the bleeding point. The boiler had to be turned off every 5 seconds or so, because the noises started and the pressure gauge (on pipework above boiler) increased from 1 to about 2.5 bar. I waited till the pressure had settled back to 1 each time before turning the boiler on again.

Long story short, the boiler keeps making these noises and bleeding the system doesn't seem to work.

Does anybody have any suggestions or should I just wait till Monday and get the professionals in?

Many thanks, Miguel

Reply to
Miguel Sasso

I'm struggling to to produce a diagnosis which exactly fits this rather strange set of symptoms, but my first port of call would be the pump - since it's almost certain that the water isn't circulating properly.

Reply to
Roger Mills

In message , Miguel Sasso writes

... ...

Sounds like your heat exchanger needs descaling (or replacing)

Reply to
geoff