Problem removing outdoor wall light

I want to replace an outdoor wall light but I cannot remove it from the wall. It is a modern stainless steel light on an arm with a circular base attached to the wall. I assumed that undoing the two bolt heads on the base would release it from the backplate but it does not. There must be some other mechanism keeping it attached. What could that be? I am reluctant to use brute force for obvious reasons.

Reply to
Terry_P

I've never come across one that didn't work like that. Can you post a photo somewhere?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think we need to see a photo before offering comments. But perhaps the wiring is so tight it won't move.

Reply to
charles

Some trick involving clips or latches at a guess or rusted up solid. A picture is worth a thousand words here but look out for anything round the edge that looks like it could be a catch or quarter turn lock.

Exterior lamps often have rubber gasket seals on and they tend to become like rubber glue between the metalwork after a while.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Photo here:

Terry_P

I was thinking that maybe it is some kind of rotated latch/clip? I gave up yesterday when it suddenly started to rain.

Reply to
Terry_P

In article , Terry_P writes

I'd expect removing those nuts just to release that cover, leaving it free to slide forward on the shaft, the real fixings will be on the plate hidden behind it. Give it a wiggle or give a gentle pry to the cover (only), at the top to hide any scratches should your screwdriver slip.

Reply to
fred

Those two domed nuts/bolt heads are the key. if they are out then hit fitting with a rubber mallet - or try turning it to break any seal that's developed. But, as I said before, it's just possible that it was fitted and the wiring pulled tight from the other end. Where does the cable appear indoors? or is it all plastered up?

Reply to
charles

I doubt wire is pulled tight. It goes through a rendered block wall to inner timber frame which is wall of lounge. It then runs from there to a switch in the entrance hall.

Reply to
Terry_P

Yes, it is the cover I am trying to remove. However, after removing the nuts it is still rock solid. Maybe it doesn't just pull forward but has some catch on the backplate which locks by rotation.

Reply to
Terry_P

If it's just a cover (which I believe it is) I can't see why it would need any other secuting method other than the two obvious screws. Pretty sure it's just going to be corrosion. Heat might help loosen it if its just a very tight fit.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You might try one of those oil filter wrenches. The type that consist of a handle and a strap that tightens when force is applied to unscrew the fitting. This shouldn't damage the fitting

A good spray of WD40 or similiar all around the rim and leave for a minute or two might also help.

Or as someone else suggested a few taps all around the perimeter with a rubber mallet.

Reply to
fred

The 'cover' might be part of the fitting, i.e. joined to the horizontal bar, with a plate screwwed to the wall. I had that sort of thing, where removing a 'cover' left me with a fitting in one hand and the rail of the stepladder in the other, nowhere to put the fitting and, of course, the nuts in the wrong pocket - um, oh that'll do.

Reply to
PeterC

Yes, the cover is part of the fitting. So did yours just pull away easily when the nuts were removed?

Reply to
Terry_P

My guess is that it's filled with silicone sealant.

Reply to
John

My thoughts exactly. Why would the maker go to the expense of adding an unnecessary catch?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Why would they put a latch or clip and two nuts? Doesn't make any sense. I reckon John is right, been siliconed.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for all your advice. It turns out that the light is still for sale in B&Q

Unfortunately, as usual not at my local branch. I may take a trip to a nearby branch with stock to see if I can read the fitting instructions. Failing that it looks like I will have to try the rubber mallet treatment. I really don't want to risk damaging the wall by trying to prise it off with a screwdriver.

I hope it wasn't filled with silicone seal. Sounds like that would make it even harder to get loose!

Reply to
Terry_P

That just has to come off if you undo the nuts on the base, no question. I've fitted dozens of similar lights and they all come off by undoing those nuts.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman