Probate form sent in, whats next?

As the sole executor of a Will, a couple of weeks ago I filled in the IHT plus Probate forms, hand delivered them and paid the fee. Could someone advise what the next stage might in involve please?

I understand it might be something along the lines of going in to the designated office somewhere and swearing an oath in regards to the figures submitted?

Is it as simple as that, or will I need to take along details of how I sourced the figures for the IHT form?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

yep

If you have sensible answers to any questions there shouldn't be a problem.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Dunno about anything extra you might need, but AIUI you can swear an oath at any solicitor's office, as all solicitors are qualified to act as commissioners for oaths. Saves having to travel long distances if the probate court isn't close by. In your case, as you hand delivered your forms, it probably won't matter as I guess the probate court is not far from you.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Pretty sure the oath you're swearing is only that you are authorised to act on behalf of the deceased. The tax people might have questions

Reply to
stuart noble

My wife was the sole executor of her father's will (although I did all the work!)

I went with her to the probate interview - taking all the correspondence and evidence for the figures, since we didn't know what form the interview would take.

In the event, they weren't interested in the documents, and - IIRC - the only thing my wife had to swear to was that the value of the estate did not exceed the IHT threshold.

Probate was received a few days later, allowing us to access and distribute the funds.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Just done my Dad's estate, if you're below the IHT threshold, just swear an oath, did mine at a local solicitor (£14 fee), sent off the forms got probate grant in due course. I got extra copies at 50p each, handy if you need to post any off.

Take the grant to the organisations & they will close the accounts & give you the cash.

Reply to
ureds

ureds a écrit :

I paid for the Probate and four copies, when I dropped the completed forms off. The form said they needed a cheque, I got my cheque book out ready to take, but still forgot it. They said they could accept cash, cheques, but not CC or DC's, so I had to dash out and get some cash.

Thanks for the replies, it will be around the £180K mark, so probably just the oath then.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yep, my Dad's was £165k, basically no questions asked throughout. Banks were helpful, but make appointments beforehand, closing a deceased's account is not something the counter staff would do.

Doing my mum's estate 12 years before we used a solicitor, the bill was £1600!

UR

Reply to
ureds

Yes.

That sounds very reasonable, actually. :)

Reply to
GB

In a couple of weeks you will get a letter or email with the appropriate oath and instructions on how to take it to your solicitors or turn up in person at a probate registry and swear the oath.

They also includes some helpful notes to explain some of the more opaque and inpenetrable jargon that appears in the document.

The registry I used had recently changed their system and it was no longer possible to book an appointment. Turn up and wait instead.

It can be. I was in and out within ten minutes as I was lucky and found no queue at all. They didn't seem interested in any other details beyond me showing my ID, repeating the oath and signing with their pen.

There were an astonishing number of manual corrections to the standard document some initialled and some not. These were largely caused by the changes in their employees roles and working titles. It seemed like they couldn't alter their own parts so they had to cross out stuff!

Reply to
Martin Brown

How could your wife swear to this ....

we had to get an estate agent in to value the property, we couldn;t decide how much it was worth.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Has anyone any experience of the packages for Wills Probates Power of Attorney on sale in Smiths?

Reply to
bert

Considering the amount of time and effort I have put in on sorting her affairs out towards the Probate, I would agree. Her solicitor did offer to do it all, or even assist me to do it if I pulled the details together to reduce the costs, but I declined their help.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield