Printers Are Funny Things

Can anyone give some advice please.

I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together with 60gm paper.

Recently, when printing, it has started pulling anything from 1 to 15 pages through the rollers at the same time.

I even tried 90gm paper just incase the local shops were using a cheap nasty brind of paper.

I have switched to an HP Laserjet 1100 MS printer and the self same thing is happening with this printer.

Could it be that the rollers are dirty, though how you would get into them to clean I have no idea, it certainly doesn't look as though it is going to be an easy job, no screws.

Kindest regards,

James

Reply to
the_constructor

================================== It may be the damp weather that's affecting the paper.

Try 'riffling' the paper before each print job. If you're not aware of this it means bending each end of the pile of paper to allow the sheets to separate as they slip through your hands - like running the pages of a book through your hand. Insert the paper into the printer guides and slide the guides in far enough to *just* compress the pile of paper from side to side - this is called 'cockling'.

If this shows an improvement consider keeping your paper in a warmer place between prints.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Both printers have a reputation for paper jam problems, IIRC. Try Googling for more history.

In general, following the guidance given by the printer manufacturer helps. Storage temperature and humidity, paper choice, loading, etc, do matter.

Different makes/models of printers hace good and bad reputations in this respect - something worth considering when choosing a printer.

Reply to
Palindrome

Also, try turning it the other way up. Paper has a natural curl, which can be aggravated by damp weather.

Reply to
Huge

My old Canon BJC-7000 was bad for this as it got older. I often cleaned the picking rollers using a sheet of card with double-sided tape lined up with the rollers. You need card otherwise the paper rolls round the roller :(

IMO all printers picking mechanisms eventually lose their 'picktion' due to paper dust impregnation. I now look for mechanisms that I can clean regularly - but they are few and far between as the manufacturers want you to see printers as disposable and they like clip-fit plastic construction as it keeps the skill and hence cost down.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

I've seen somewhere that 'riffling' paper before loading it is not recommended - introduces static in the sheets.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

The message from "the_constructor" contains these words:

Paper feed mechanisms are notoriously unreliable and finicky and some paper is particularly bad.

Store your paper under controlled temperature and humidity. NEVER let the paper get above 80% relative humidity. If you do, you can look for trouble.

Ensure it feeds into the printer the correct side up. The side to be printed first is the side marked by an arrow on the packet or otherwise next to the seam on the packet

Flick the pile of sheeds with your thumb to separate them

You do get roller cleaner, at a price. You can try alcohol on them. If the printer will otherwise have to be thrown out, try the very finest of emery paper.

The problem's getting worse with small-footprint printers. When you buy a printer, buy one with a straight paper path, if you can find one. Or at least with the initial part of the paper path straight.

Reply to
Appin

I didn't know you could get 60gsm paper? Not surprised the printer doesn't like it!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sounds like it would be that shiny loo paper you used to get.. that weighed next to nothing, IIRC.

Reply to
PCPaul

=================================== It's been recommended practice ever since the days of ink and spirit duplicators so if it produces harmful static we have to choose the lesser of two evils. Maybe a job for 'Myth Busters'.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

On a number of older printers where the feed rollers have gone hard through age I've successfully used brake fluid on them to soften up the surface layers. Wipe some on, leave for a bit, then wipe off. You may have to dismantle it a bit to get to them. (Don't turn inkjets upside down over a good carpet - DAMHIKT.)

It works for 6-12 months then needs another dose.

OTOH that was more for failure to pick up then feeding too many sheets at once.

Reply to
PCPaul

But then you could use the correct thing for the job

platine cleaner - comes in spray dispensers for rejuvinating the rubber, CPC sell it

Reply to
geoff

Isn't it made by Rizla ?

Party roach size

60 gsm is normally used in photocopiers IIRC
Reply to
geoff

Static could be a problem for laser printers that use electrostatic effects to make the toner stick to the paper, but it shouldn't be a problem for inkjet printers

I could be wring though

Reply to
OG

Unless it results in sheets sticking to each other.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I could - but it's both a lot more expensive and a lot further away than the bottle of hygroscopped brake fluid in the garage...

Reply to
PCPaul

Following advice, I have fanned the paper before putting it in both the printers, but that didn't do the trick.

I can not find a way to get to the paper feed rollers on either machine so I certainly wouldn't be heading for the can of brake fluid yet.

I think the best course for me is to wait until the ink in the inkjet and toner in the LaserJet runs out and buy a couple of new Lexmark printer, scanner copiers from the local Tesco at £29.99 each and offer what I have now on Freecycle telling them of the faults. Let someone else try and fix the problems if they wish. James

Reply to
the_constructor

Sounds fine, except for the 'Lexmark' part.

In terms of consumable prices, I'd go for Canon all the time. Lexmark needs a second mortgage for the ink.

And before you start thinking it's cheaper to get a Lexmark then just buy another one when it runs out, the cartridges they come with are nowhere near full (and it's the same for most other manufacturers as well).

Reply to
PCPaul

Canon Pixma IP2500 ?

£32 at my local computer shop
Reply to
geoff

Agreed !

A friend of mine was given an iMac - and decided to purchase a Lexmark 'all-in-one' scanner, printer, teamaker etc..

As he knows next to nothing about computers, I became the expert ! The printer drivers appeared to install, but didn't print.

Emailed Lexmark support - ended up chatting to somebody somewhere out on the Indian subcontinent. To cut a long story short - wasted a couple of weeks on & off, emailing, waiting for phone calls that never came, getting passed around their internal telephone system.

Utter disaster - and a complete waste of time.... good reason not to buy Lexmark, IMHO

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian