Priming Drywall

Following a recent roof leak, and a damaged lath/plaster internal wall, I've decided to have a go at plasterboard/tape/jointing compound. It's only a 1m x 2.4m (wxh) section, and the board's up.

Could I get away with not sealing the PB? Or is there a substitute? It only seems to come in big tubs at £20+.

Reply to
RJH

You don't need to seal it - just an extra coat of emulsion.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I could be wrong but I think the main constituent of drywall primers is PVA the one I used certainly smelt like It. You can get smaller tubs of primer for doing coving and is essentially the same stuff.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

No need to seal PB. It can be painted or papered over directly. It's normally skimmed to give a perfect surface.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You just paper over the top of the old. Until you can no longer get in the room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Certainly Artex plasterboard sealant is not PVA. It has an organic solvent and handles very differently. Having left an area of the bathroom bare for longer than intended, it provided extraordinarily good protection.

Too damned expensive and only available (so far as I know) in too large quantities.

Reply to
polygonum

Many thanks everyone - I'll try a couple of coats of emulsion. For some reason the Gyproc compound is taking a while to go off (2 days, and still not solid) where I'd pushed it into the corner, so it's taking a little longer than I'd thought . . .

Reply to
RJH