priming a radiator

I rubbed down a metal radiator with wet and dry, its gone down to bare metal in places so it needs a primer...

as I want to paint it or spray it with radiator white enamel does the undercoat need to be white or would any other colour be ok ?

Reply to
Stephen

Use grey primer which will help to build a solid colour and will also help to show (by contrast) when you've got full cover with your finish coat.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Many years ago when I had to try and keep a mini's bodywork in one piece, I would always start with a coat of zinc, which genuinely did stop any rust coming though. Primer alone never did for me. You may think a radiator is indoors and dry, but there are occasions in a kitchen, bath/shower room, when a radiator will regularly get condensation on it in summer, so rusting can still happen.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Do you mean hot dip? What does that cost for a rad?

NT

Reply to
NT

No, you could buy airosol spray-on zinc (still have a 30-year old can in the cupboard). ISTR it was made by both Holts and Isopon back then. There's obviously some binder in it too, as the zinc alone would just fall off. My other recollection is that the spray can nossle clogged easily, and you could almost never go back and use it again, regardless if you inverted the can and cleared it out last time.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Think you will find that metal primer is usually zinc based unless it specifically says for aluminium etc.

Spamlet

Ahh I didn't know that.

I painted it today by hand using hammerite anti rust in grey, I actually put a few coats and then rubbed down with 1500 grit wet and dry for a smooth finish ready to be sprayed, I can't believe how good its come out so far.

I wondering if enamel can be sprayed through an air brush as I have one and a mini compressor lurking .... some research I think is needed.

Also I was wondering can you use wet and dry on a final covering of the enamel to maybe smooth it out kinda of look or will that remove the coating too much ?

Reply to
Stephen