Pricing of bearings

Recently repairing a DeWalt RA saw (My thanks to Bob Minchin and all others for assistance) I found the carriage bearings a little bit knobbly. Not unduly so but worth attention. Sealed bearings but dropped them in a bath of light oil nevertheless.

Found an online supplier of parts I needed. All parts available except these bearings. Bearings listed @ ?11 odd per but no stock. Told that they did not know when they might get new stock.

Got on to a local bearing supplier that I have used in the past. Bearing only made by SKF. Now out of production. RRP ?47.76. Price to me December 2014 ?6.92. Price to me Feb 2015 ?23.90. Apparently it is standard practice to double or quadruple the price of out of production bearings. I was surprised but then I am of another age.

Received new parts and rebuilt saw with old bearings which are now considerably less knobbly. Saw bought new in 1981, it'll see me out. All the above guff for info only but may be of interest to anyone that might be looking for old bearing sizes in the near future. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

In article , Nick writes

Might be worth trying these people;

Reply to
Chris Holford

I would be surprised if they were discontinued when there was a large demand for them, so the stockist is likely to have to keep them on the shelf for quite some time and storage costs money.

Reply to
Nightjar

Recently repairing a DeWalt RA saw (My thanks to Bob Minchin and all others

Have you tried "Simply bearings" Their online store has always had what bearings I have needed at sensible prices.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Standard practice with any spares as they get rarer, if there is still a demand. If the demand is great enough they're usually re-manufactured, and the price drops.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There must be a huge mark up over bulk cost as the SKF employee discount at the local outlet was 50% for deep groove, 40% for tapers and less for the rarer types.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

For some reason it's been the case for many years with bearings. Remember getting some for my Vespa when still at school, and the trade discount was vast then too (my father was in the motor trade) A normal discount was about 1/3rd - it was more like 2/3rds with ball bearings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Possibly to discourage nicking stuff from the production line?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What is the part number?

Reply to
Capitol

So the age of the bearing has a bearing on the b price of the bearing. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff