Price of wood increasing?

I've seen / read various bits that indicate that the price of wood is forecast to increase by up to 20% this year. How can that be the case?

Matt

Reply to
larkim

larkim gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It don't grow on trees, y'know.

Reply to
Adrian

I would imagine mostly sterling exchange rates and transport costs. Much of our softwood comes from Scandinavia and Siberia, and hardwood from South America & the South Pacific.

Reply to
dom

matthew.lar,

The trees are growing taller, that's why the price is increasing!

[Replying through dom, as I have killfiled all gmail and google mail posts to reduce the spam a bit]
Reply to
Cash

The story I was given related to the cold winter delaying ice melt in the Baltic and holding up shipments from Finland etc.

Of course, devaluing the UKP hasn't helped.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I went to a timber place on Saturday to arrange a delivery - the chap there expressly pointed out the sheet products on one side claiming they had gone up over 20% since January. Also claimed they were desperately keeping prices down hence being very firm on delivery charges. So some confirmation of what is happening, albeit no explanation.

Reply to
Rod

Recession -> less spending -> cost per item has to go up for businesses to stay afloat.

NT

Reply to
NT

It it 'cos it's soaring/sawing?

Coat already donned.

Reply to
1501

Have you _seen_ the Euro-sterling rate recently? In the middle of 2007 it was about 1.5; it's now 1.1 something. It is feeding through.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Bugger, beat me to it!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Bio mass burners, the next wind farm problem, currently loads of wood burning power stations going up or proposed, if they are all built 50% of Scotlands timber crop could go straight up in smoke, plus loads of carbon unfriendly imported timber cause we dont have enough.

But with your non fossil fuel subsidy makes money even if it dosent save the planet.

Smart money is buying old mill buildings and putting in water turbines....

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

It's been about 1.1x since November 2008.

Reply to
Bob Martin

That's timber unsuitable for use in construction or joinery.

If it was suitable - they'd sell it for that - as it pays much more.

Wood for burning is almost exclusively British hardwoods - so it's processed into rather expensive stuff for fine joinery (most houses don't have a whole lot of oak/chestnut/birch in them) - and what can't be used for that - is burnt.

Reply to
dom

=A3STG is on the rise currently (and marginally) - nearing 1.16 at mo.....

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Correction: The Euro is about to fall off the chart when Greece fails to cough up for its 'Even Gordon didn't Marx-and-Spender like these guys' moment..

The pound remains as devalued as the rest of HMS Britannic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Almost any wood can be turned into chipboard, OSB, and I expect MDF. So if large amounts get burnt, was all that just being disposed of now? If not, the price of those products go up.

NT

Reply to
NT

are you buying or selling then?

(your correction not necessary - just a brief look at the =A3 vs $ and =A3 vs Euro graphs - both on the rise...)

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Your thinking crackling logs in your inglenook, this is different scale...

225 MW at Hunterston, site of 2 nuclear plants and 4 off 100 MW plants at Forth Ports owned sites with 100M high stacks, plus a few more.

Adam Aglionby

..wait..and see..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Compared with a couple of Gigawatts needed..

The answer is to kill fat people and burn them for fuel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher