Price of installing PV panels

Economies of scale. Price depends on height/access to building and other factors. Panels vary in size, so price per panel is niether here nor there. And of course BBC are wankers, haven't you realised?

Why are you glad you didn't go ahead at 8% to 12% income from capital invested? Now you have missed the bus, not very clever eh?

With having to write down the capital to zero in 25 years, 8% return for a quite risky, illiquid investment is rubbish and I don't know why anyone (except the financially illiterate) thinks otherwise.

(that's looking at it from an individual household pov, from a bulk installer pov, some of the risks factor out, but even the 8% is only "just enough").

tim

Reply to
tim....

The problem isn't with the electrolytics really, it's the installation site. Generally people are told that, for best efficiency, the inverter should be installed as close as possible to the panels - so it usually ends up in the roof space. That's a hostile environment for any electronics so it reduces the life. You are probably better getting the installer to put the inverter somewhere where the temperature is more stable and a bit cooler, paying a bit extra for longer runs of a slightly thicker cable up to the panels. That will probably save the cost of inverter replacements.

Reply to
mick

I think you're being a bit unfair.

If the government didn't have a requirement for installations to be fitted by "approved installers" they'd have to have a team of inspectors to come along and "approve installations".

That would cost money that the individuals concerned would have to pay for.

tim

Reply to
tim....

Nah. You run aircon off the panels output to keep the inverter cool!

You KNOW it makes sense.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Risk of 40oC temperatures & condensing humidity, cooling obstructed by airborne dust & even soot. Surely they stick them 6ft lower in a cupboard?

I am sure it would be better to bulk buy a block of land in the South of France or Spain, then people anywhere in UK or Europe pay a fee to buy PV panels and receive the FiT that way. You gain 1) true bulk buy

2) economy of scale of installation 3) better output re closer to equator re insolation 4) better industrial invertor 5) direct feed into supergrid.

It could be set up as a non-profit organisation, everyone basically buys shares. The FiT could have been set more reasonably yet still giving a good return. The existing system is pure welfare for DG firm directors & fitters, the directors having no skills apart from collecting the lolly and phoenixing if their fitters make a balls up of a few.

Local microgeneration does not save more than the insolation of southern France/Spain vs cloudy wet northern latitude UK. Bizarre. Why are companies such as EDF not doing a scheme, it could be made cheaper for taxpayer & consumers alike? So whilst there is some subsidy it at least uses economy of scale!

Reply to
js.b1

No better is to all club together and buy shares in a nuclear power station and build it.

Far better ROI..and the shares will still be worth something in 20 years.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You didn't have any British Energy shares then.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

I did. I made a lot of money out of them when it was sold to EDF.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Then you must have bought them after it went bust.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Probably... ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine is in the garage, and also makes it far easier to check the display, though I do have a remote monitor.

The inverter is naturally-cooled, so no fan to worry about, or convoluted air paths to clog.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It didn't go bust, it was bankrupted by TB.

Reply to
dennis

IRTA "wiring spurs"!

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Well, the scheme has ceased through over subscription. Over 90,000 have been installed. ie, it was too good a deal to last. I have had 8% of my money back in 6 months from April 21. I hope to get 12% in the full twelve months. Tell me where I can get 12% return inflation linked and tax free?

Also around 25% reduction in electricity bill.

I didn't say that you could get 12%. I said that 8% when representing BOTH return of capital AND interest on that capital isn't enough.

And you have a very small leccy bill if it saves you 25%

tim

Reply to
tim....

My loft goes up to 55C. Not often. Only when the sun's really strong ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I presume the panels will shade harry's roof a bit.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

This was the theory with the safari roofs on Land Rovers, I had one on a works vehicle but not convinced it made much difference in UK.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

I had one, it worked.