Price of Gas

I know this is OFF topic, to the many helpful hints I have received.

I recently had a discussio with my neighbor, where I noted that gas in England, Holland, Germany (et al) is a LOT more expensive than the US.

With many US states now at

Reply to
joe

I assume you mean petrol when you refer to gas? In the UK, gas is used to heat cookers and furnaces, and petrol is now bought by the litre, not the Imperial or US gallon. If this is what you mean, the difference is the tax paid by the consumer.

Reply to
Davey

By "gas", I presume you mean "petrol"?

Right, first things first... We don't use gallons. We used to, but they were different gallons to yours. Ours were 4.5 litres, yours are 3.8 liters.

Petrol here is roughly £1.10/litre at the moment = US$1.70, so US$6.45/US gallon.

A lot of that is tax. 58p/litre, plus 20% VAT. Take those off, and you're looking at 34p/litre = £1.30/US gallon = US$2 almost exactly. You have a national average of about 49c/US gallon, 32p or 8.5p/litre. So, yes, your basic fuel is a little bit cheaper, but that shortfall in tax has to be made up somehow, unless it doesn't get spent. Overall, you pay a total of about 31% in tax, we pay about 40%.

I'll leave it to you to decide who gets better value for that...

Reply to
Adrian

We used to get better value when we had few road tolls. Now they are being slowly introduced they get much better value.

Reply to
philipuk

I was talking much more widely than transport cost vs benefit. I was thinking more of the entirety of taxation vs government expenditure.

But, fwiw, the toll payable for a bridge near here has been payable for about the same amount of time as the US has been an independent country - and the owner of the bridge pays no tax of any kind.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian put finger to keyboard:

71c/litre according to
Scion

Well, yes. What you save in fuel costs you pay out in health care.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)