Prevention of mouldy silicone in the shower

(using the 'Share' link under the 'More Buying Choices' to give a short url - a trick I learned on here ;-) )

I wonder if the OP would do a shoot-out of the two products, for the benefit of the group, of course!

Reply to
Terry Fields

+1

And Scott and Dave wrote:

+1 :-D

And f> I'm more concerned with their factual inaccuracies! One of the news

Exactly. A recent growth industry has been that of the statisticians ... which is fine, because statistics are an invaluable social tool. However it's the way the MEDIA (and of course politicians, may god rot their souls) selectively pick AND THEN REPORT statistics that is so appalling. I'm certain that the originators of these figures (the professional statisticians) must howl with rage when they see their work reported in the media.

And as I've said elsewhere, tragically the BBC has become as tabloid as the rest in recent years: as though they feel they need to "compete", FFS!

John

[1]... thus jumping on to Bill latest trolling thread, and contradicting my agreement with fred....
Reply to
Another John

...etc.

God - how embarrassing. Indignant reply in wrong thread. Bloody hell. How embarrassing. [repeat ad nauseam]

J.

Reply to
Another John

I think you're right. I do have a (4") fan in the ceiling of the bathroom, but the room is relatively large. I think I should bite the bullet, make a hole in the back wall of the shower corner, and move the fan there. (gasp: drilling a 4" hole through a cavity wall, at the top of a ladder: yuck.)

John

Reply to
Another John

Totally agree - bar soap is vile stuff that leaves a greasy scum. I use Sanex and never "have" to clean anyting in the shower

Reply to
DerbyBorn

IIRC potassium (rather than sodium) hydroxide is used to make liquid soaps

Reply to
stuart noble

I do it from the inside so it's in the right place...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

:-) Aye (ee ah never thought of that!). But you have to go up the ladders at some point.

So [do you have | would you hire] a core driller? Or is it the old series of holes plus a cold chisel etc etc etc?

J.

Reply to
Another John

In article , Another John scribeth thus

Make sure you keep the thing absolutely level, or if your going to c*ck it up a bit drill from the inside out slightly downwards don't want the rain coming in do we;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Hey, unfortunate delivery, however, sentiment appreciated :-D

Reply to
fred

Off a ladder, I'd be inclined to do the latter. If a large core drill jams you'll know it.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I have a small bathroom that gets wringing wet every day following a hot shower. Probably about twice a year, when the management decrees, I take a toothbrush, neat domestic bleach in a saucer and a fan to waft the fumes away. Tackle all the black on sealant and tiles, then clean the tiles and shower with ordinary bathroom cleaner and it will look like new.

My bathroom is about 40 years old and I started this regime only a couple of years ago. Always comes up great. Prior to that I had periodically re-grouted and resealed when the management decreed it was too dirty. Have to paint ceiling and woodwork periodically of course.

Reply to
Old Codger

On 26 Jan 2014, Terry Fields grunted:

OK then, here you go (sort of!)

I've use the Dettox stuff a lot in the past, and have sworn by it; I've always found it really good for cleaning up after tenants in rented-out houses which they refuse to ventilate; very good for cleaning paintwork and walls in particular. I find it certainly works to a certain degree on silicone, but always leaves a fair amount of residual mould even after repeated applications; for a complete and SWMBO-satisfying job it's been necessary to strip out and replace. I do find it better than using common-or-garden bleach, though.

So without much hope really, I bought a bottle of the HG product - I'll try anything on the off chance it might avoid another weekend of silicone removal :(

Anyway - I can now report that that after about a week of repeated applications of the HG stuff, every last trace of mould has now vanished from the shower tray. TMH is spot on; it's absolutely brilliant; I'd never have believed it. Took some time; but no effort; just repeated spraying.

So, not exactly a controlled head-to-head experiment; but I know from years of experience with Dettox that no way would it have shifted this. The two products are definitely different; eg the HG stuff contains surfactant; it feels very soapy (not sure why that would make any difference though).

Big thanks to TMH!

Reply to
Lobster

OK just ordered up a couple of cans of that and the associated grout remover on yours and TMH's recommendation ;))...

Reply to
tony sayer