preventing parking

Nice one, sadly the track is just about wide enough for a tender to pass a parked car. M.K.

Reply to
markzoom

Right. I see it as my dues for keeping it clear the other 5 days and 7 nights of the week. If me/friends parked (legally) in front of neighbours houses on the main road that would piss them off more. M.K.

Reply to
markzoom

LOL! 'Hiding to nothing' springs to mind....

Maybe a polite notice asking people to close their car doors quietly late at night would help.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

If you *narrowed* the track with some nice kerbing and bollards just enough so it wasn't possible to park and leave clearance for passing, that might be a more elegant solution.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Think you miss the point. The OP wants to be able to park there himself, but to prevent others - even although he doesn't own the land.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

himself,

Which rather makes him a bit of a wanker IMO....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

That's a possibility, thanks for the suggestions. I have thought of using substantial cement plant pots, though my visitors wouldn't be able to park either M.K.

Reply to
markzoom

You could use some of the parking control posts, that you can lift and lower according to whim - they're padlocked in place.

If you are intending to sink anything into the ground do a check first for buried cables/pipes

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And when someone scraped their car on obstructions you put on land you don't own guess who their insurers would be after.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Could he do this on the road in front of his house to reserve more parking space there?

Reply to
Peter Parry

AIUI the Road Traffic Act(s) applies to both public roads and private roads, both including parking areas - I suspect if someone starts to obstruct lawful passage they could well find the book thrown at them, especially if it has caused (criminal ?) damage.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It's pretty obvious what *you* do while you post here. M.K.

Reply to
markzoom

Right. My 4 bed house only has one owned parking space and a garage that's too short for most cars. I don't intend the side of my house to become the day/work parking for people that don't even live around here. As for owning the track, I'd say that I'm part owner of it, if it belongs to anyone. It's been used for access to the back of my property since it was built in 1883, long before any of the others were even built. M.K.

Reply to
markzoom

But this comes back to the same old point - you have no particular rights over who parks on any bit of road - even outside your own house.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's not "road". At the very least I have right of access over this land, since 1883 and likely before. I'm pretty sure if someone dumped an old car on it the council would disown responibility for removing it. That would make it "not theirs".

Reply to
markzoom

Equally I could be after them for damaging my plant pots, since there would have been more than adquate room for accesss. M.K.

Reply to
markzoom

I don't think that's unreasonable.Enforcing it, as you've seen, is another problem.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hardly, it isn't land you own or control, you have no more right to put plant pots there than you do to put them on the M25.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Hi,

If it's not public road you could put up a 'residential parking' sign, maybe with a threat of clamping.

This might deter people from parking there, other than your immediate neighbours who use the lane to access their garages, and are equally entitled to park there.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

bollards just

there himself,

Makes little difference, it's 'public' vehicular access.

At the very least I have right of access over this

Yes, right of access, you don't have any more control over any part of this 'vehicular access' as anyone else who has a right of access. At the very least you will have to get agreement from all the other people who have rights over is access way.

I'm pretty sure if someone dumped

Well, I have asked my local council to remove dumped cars from a private (but 'public') parking area and they have done, with due respect to the laws that effect dumped vehicles.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::