Preventing leaks at toilet pan connector

I dismantled one of ours today as there was a slight leak from around the joint between the pan connector and the toilet output. Couldn't see any particular reason for the leak, but have bought a new connector to be safe, and have thoroughly cleaned up the toilet output.

Question - what's the preferred way of mounting these connectors, to minimise the risk of another leak? I'm sure I've just done it 'dry' in the past, but is it reckoned to be best to apply a thin coat of silicone grease? or of silicon sealant? or not?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

The professionals probably have better techniques but I've always used washing up liquid on sanitary joints. ( 'Fairy liquid ' as it seems consistently thicker :).

Reply to
john

Silicone spray simply helps get the connectors to push in easily. If they don't line up 100% straight to each other they can leak. Plumbers Mait is the answer.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They often say to lubricate only with washing up liquid for assembly. I expect that this is to ensure than inappropriate greases are not used that may perish the rubber. Personally I always use silicone grease since it makes assembly much simpler, and also serves as a non setting seal to keep it waterproof.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well I ended up lifting the rim of the rubber collar and filling it with silicone .. like nearly all bits of plumbing you buy, apart from soldered copper joints, the bits never ever seem to work as they should.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Plumbing is still in its infancy IMO.

Reply to