Pretty stupid push-fit question

I need to cap off an old feed under the bath down into the kitchen since it's re-model. I can get my hand and a pipe cutter in there easily - but couldn't get a gas torch anywhere in there - so - these push-fit things - can I just deburr and push a push-fit stop end on?

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Yes.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In principle, yes. How old is the feed, and what size pipe is it? I'm not sure that you can get push-fit fittings for imperial pipe. If it's 15mm or

22mm copper, fine. Cut it with a proper pipe cutter which has a cutting wheel, and then clean up the end inch or so with wire wool. The cutter will have turned the end in slightly, so there's no need to de-burr. I would use copper push-fit in metal pipe.

In the unlikely event that it's a stainless steel pipe - fitted in the copper shortage in the 1960's or whenever - you won't be able to use pushfit - 'cos it won't grip properly.

Reply to
Roger Mills

"Dan delaMare-Lyon" wrote in news:bFSXf.15589$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net:

I'd rather use a compression; they don't fail as disastrously if they do fail

mike

Reply to
mike

They can.....

In an awkward position it is perfectly possible to "tighten one up", but in fact it really isn't and the olive has not cramped onto the pipe properly. This is especially true if the pipe is old and has naturally hardened. Under pressure the fitting can pop off......

I've seen it happen.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On 2 Apr 2006 18:16:34 GMT someone who may be mike wrote this:-

Some years ago I had just sat down to Christmas dinner with other members of the family (not in my house BTW) and the starter was just about to be put on the table.

There was a sudden sound of running water, which I thought was a pan being emptied in the kitchen. However, I was soon asked to help and in the main bathroom I was able to observe a waterfall coming down from the loft. Feeling a bit like a sumbmariner I climbed up the ladder as the water came down.

The cause of the waterfall was a failed joint which had been installed a day or two before. Because of the fashion for mains pressure water systems a lot of water had pissed out of this joint in a short period. The plumber had used a push-fit fitting, despite being paid to do the job properly.

The replacement compression fitting went on with the aid of much swearing about plumbers and is still working happily five years or so later.

Reply to
David Hansen

I would say that's the fault of the plumber rather than the fitting. I'd say it's just as easy (or difficult!) to mess up a solder joint, compression joint, or push fit joint. All have their potential pitfalls. (I may come back here in a year or two and eat humble pie when all my speedfit fittings fall apart though... :-)

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

Possibly an even stupider question, but this is a water pipe you're wanting to blank off, and not gas?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nope in the clear on this one - she's a 15mm copper :)

Cheers dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

As long as you didn't cut the tube with a hacksaw, this is very unlikely......

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've heard of energy conservation and recycling, but gas feeds under the bath?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Could make sense for vegetarians ;)

mike

Reply to
mike

It's now dead pipe work, but until a few years ago that was the situation in my house and all the others in the terrace.

Originally: The iron pipe emerged from under the floor under the bath and then was chased into the wall around the side of the bath. It's purpose was to supply a large instantaneous gas water heater as an alternative to the solid fuel back-boiler and direct gravity heating of the HW tank (cf. cylinder).

Until about 5 years ago my neighbour still had the complete asbestos flue mounted outside.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Imperial copper tube is fairly rare IME. The 15mm push fits will go onto the 1/2" they are a little tight, you might not remove the fitting after unless it is the sort you unscrew.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Using wire wool on pipe for a pushfit fitting is asking for trouble This will lead to a leak as you are scoring the smooth surface of th pipe which is what the sealing ring seals against???

-- freddyuk

Reply to
freddyuk

???

Reply to
Roger Mills

No - you are *cleaning* and old - and potentially corroded - pipe in order to make a clean smooth surface on which to seal!

Reply to
Roger Mills

It's something to watch out for when you think the pipework is around

35-40 years old. I might come across it a few times a year and I'm dealing with pipes at least 2 days a week.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

Well I suppose that I may be atypical - but I've had it in both houses which I've owned, and in my father-in-law's house - all built in the 1960's. So I suspect that there's still a lot of it about even if you don't personally encounter it very often.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It's quite easily identified tho.

IME imperial pipes have big chunky hex fittings, rather than the neater more modern compression fittings (e.g the ones with the 'ears')

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy