Pretentious? Moi?

Including purchase tax :-?

Reply to
fred

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tinkerer" saying something like:

Redneck City, dude.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

But 'bear with me' makes more sense than 'hold the line'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But they're getting into the data!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Possibly - but they'd still do for an item which didn't attract VAT.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That's in-band signalling for you.

Reply to
Huge

Don't worry, I wasn't being serious.

I was trying to give it a historical basis (hence ancient purchase tax), "that's fivepence ha'penny for your widget plus a ha'peny purchase tax so that's sixpence to you sir altogether", now handed down through the generations without thought.

Reply to
fred

Don't listen to him. He might say there's no Santa next ;o)

Reply to
Tinkerer

Purchase tax!!! You just dated yourself (and me).

Reply to
Tinkerer

You might want to rethink that comment in the context of the thread....

Reply to
Scott M

"Pack of 3 condoms please...."

"That will be £4.50 including tax"

"Sod that for a game of soldiers, I will tie them on if I have to!"

Reply to
John Rumm

What gets me is when I go to Macdonalds or Burger King and ask for a meal and I'm asked 'Do you want to Supersize that'? Or if I ask for a burger and chips they always say 'a regular burger and *fries*! This happens everywhere in the UK - what are they, robots?

Reply to
Wesley

And in Leftpondia, would those be Freedom Fries or French Fries?

Reply to
John Williamson

I think we established that a previous Chancellor decided to tax condoms.

Can't even have a shag without paying into the govment coffers.

I usually find they stay on with friction.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think they are taught th Corporate Vocabulary.

But so were telephone operators in the 20s and 30s.

(1.7Mb)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In article , Roger Mills writes

Or "Yes, no ..." (or worse "Yeah, no ...")

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

I think they are taught th Corporate Vocabulary.

But so were telephone operators in the 20s and 30s.

(1.7Mb)

Owain

That was funny! I didn't realise that corporate vocabulary went back that far!

I do realise the staff in MacDonald's etc. are all trained to say what they do but this does not make it any less annoying. I think they should let the personalities of the individuals shine through.

Reply to
Wesley

Owain

McD's don't employ people with personalities...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman