Pressure washer - connect to washing machine outlet?

As per title really. Is it possible to supply water to a pressure washer by connecting to a washing machine outlet of the sort [1 inch male, external thread type thing] typically found under a sink? Outside tap not really feasible, connecting to sink tap is messy at best. Tried B&Q today - non of the fittings on the pressure washers on display looked suitable, staff tried his best to help, but couldn't find any adaptors. Seems such an obvious way to connect.

Reply to
Simon Cee

No reason why not although some washing machine taps, particularly the "clamp on" type that can be fitted to a 15 mm pipe without cutting it, may now allow enough flow through to keep a pressure washer happy.

Unlikely though and no harm in "sucking it and seeing".

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ta tim, but I don't think I've explaimed myself very well - entirely my fault, I had the same prob in BQ today.

. I need an adaptor so I can screw a pressure washer supply hose onto the sink outlet. Does such a thing exist.

Reply to
Simon Cee

Sink outlet? No wonder they're confused! You want to run it on drain water?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Okay, more seriously, if your pressure washer uses standard garden hose couplings screwed on to an outside tap,it will also screw on to one of these.

?cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CJyxs-GC2rUCFcrHtAodAX4AQg

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You want to connect to the cold feed that is designed for a washing machine. No way would that be described as a sink outlet FFS!

Just use a washing machine hose and adapt the free end to a garden hose fitting or whatever your pressure washer needs. Mine (a Bosch) has the same thread as the end of a washing machine hose (3/4"BSP) so no adaptor needed. You can get hoses from the local tip - they get two with nearly every machine that is dumped.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Washing machine is normally a 3/4" BSP thread, as is an outside tap with hosepipe thread, so I would expect anything designed for an outside tap to work identically.

Check the hose and the pressure washer are designed for mains water pressure on the inlet. Cheap garden hoses aren't and rely on being open at the far end to limit the pressure in the hose.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Exactly; I have used a washing machine outlet for this purpose myself.

(or
is the baby you need.

Reply to
Lobster

That is exactly what you need.

Don't use the self sealing 'water stop' version though, they can cause problems with pressure washers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That's what I though on reading the title.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Brill, ta for the help chaps, and for figuring out my mangled plumbing terms :)

Reply to
Simon Cee