Pressure required for shower head

Fitting a power shower. I was going to go for the 1.5 bar pump from ScrewFix:

when looking at shower heads like this:

state they need min 2 bar of pressure. The next step up @ ScrewFix is

2.5 bar but costs quite a bit more. Will I get away with the 1.5 bar?

Thanks, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

It'll work but just won't be as good.

Also, the cheap Screwfix pump is not continuously rated. whereas the next one up is. Typically, non continuously rated ones are 15-20 minutes of operation - are you OK with that.?

The recommended Bathstore one gives 15lpm at 2.2 bar

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

As in not as powerful?

Well I doubt I've ever had a shower of that length :-) What happens after the 15 to 30 mins? Does it cut out on some kind of timer?

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Exactly.

No women in the house?

I believe that they have a thermal cutout.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

My girlfriend occasionally :-) But she's more of a bath person, hence the reason for knocking hole in wall to make bath full size, it's a measly 5' at the moment.

As the bathroom is costing much £££, it's probably worth the extra for the more powerful pump. Better to do it right!

Regards, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

You could also connect it to the taps and fill the bath really quickly..... .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I saw a picture of that set-up on the Wickes brochure I picked up today. Interesting :-)

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

I did the same in my last house with a single impellor pump on the hot tap and mains pressure on the cold. Filled the bath in just over a minute.

In my new house, I have mains pressure on both hot and cold. That takes about 2 minutes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Probably. 2 bar seems like overkill for the showerhead shown. I would expect a panel shower to need a beefier pump, but not a fixed standard head.

OTOH, as the instructions explicitly state 2 bar, it is a risk that it won't work satisfactorily, in which case you'd have to buy the more expensive pump and have wasted money on the small one.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle