pressure rating of solvent-weld overflow pipe?

Does anyone happen to know the pressure rating of solvent-weld overflow pipe (40, 30, 21.5 mm sizes) labelled "MuPVC BS EN 1566 CS B"?

Thanks.

Reply to
Adam Funk

How high do you need it to be?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Enough to withstand diet coke and mentoes? It's either 21.5 mm overflow or 20 mm electrical conduit that snuggly fits into the top of a coke bootle...

Why not google that standard, you might be lucky and find enough information without having to pass a paywall.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well actually, I'm wondering if I can use it to do a scaled-down version of William Gurstelle's hairspray-powered spud gun.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Overflow pipe is not pressure rated.

You can buy PVC and ABS systems that are, ABS being the better. Quite costly ISTR.

Overflow pipe is usually polythene crap. So all you can do is suck it and see.

Reply to
harryagain

Probably OK -

If in doubt, put it inside a bigger pipe to contain the shrapnel :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

They are intended to work at atmospheric pressure, but are nominally considered to be rated to 0.5 bar. For pressure resistant water pipe you need BS3505 pipe. In the sizes you mention, most will be Class E, which is rated to 15 bar, although 1.25" (42mm OD) is also available in Class D, rated to 12 bar.

Reply to
Nightjar

Perhaps not if it is marked as PVC though. OOI, what would you use to solvent weld polythene pipe Harry?

Probably not the best way to test a pressure rating.

Reply to
Nightjar

The PVC/ABS solvents don't work on it. You might try the solvent they sell for the cheap pond liner repairs. Or superglue.

Reply to
harryagain

I asked because the OP specifically stated it was solvent weld pipe and you went on to suggest that overflow pipe is usually polythene, which is one of the most solvent resistant plastic available, so nobody would sell it as solvent weld pipe.

Reply to
Nightjar

Most overflow pipe I have come across is push fit.

Reply to
harryagain

and thus quite irrelevant to the OP's query.

Reply to
Nightjar

Push fit because it's not pressure rated. So doesn't need to be solvent welded, so can be cheap polythene.

Reply to
harryagain

Still irrelevant to a query that is specifically about solvent weld pipe.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The stuff I have is labelled "PVC" (some of it says "MuPVC").

Ha!

Reply to
Adam Funk

Thanks, I'll look for some BS3505. (I think it only needs to go up to

7 bar.)
Reply to
Adam Funk

It is usually coloured grey and should be available from builders' or plumbers' merchants, but may not be in the sheds. I have had good service from these people:

Nightjar

There's no *only* about 7 bar. The volume of gas pressurised also needs to be considered if you're concerned about hazards.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message , harryagain writes

But seeing as the OP specified solvent weld pipe, what is the relevance of it here?

Reply to
Chris French

In article , Chris French writes

Because, with no friends, this is the only human contact he has and so he will do anything to prolong it.

Reply to
fred