Pressed steel joists in loft....

This is a nice problem ;)

ideas ?

Chris

Reply to
Joker7

great website..might joint that one!

I think 200 mortes spent on a structural enginers report woud be way more useful than anytuhng ayone here could say.

Without knowing a lot more than you probably can find out, its hard to say..but a structural engineer should recognize the material, thickness and so on and be able to do a stress analysis. In fact if you did a conversion, the BCO as like as not would require such anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Chris,

It's not really a problem, simply cut relevant sized floor joist into the web of the RSJ flush with or slightly above the steelwork and use solid strutting on the ends to keep them in position - the standard practice in the pre-fabricated housing types built after WW2.

Unbeliever

Reply to
Unbeliever

Or if you dont mind losing 3" of height it would be quicker to simply lay 2x3 joists across the top of the existing steel, at 90 degrees. Supported every 75cm these would be fine strength wise. Put them every

16" and lay your chip floor on top. Screw chip to joists to keep them in place.

There are always other options of course, such as 2 layers of chip floor straight onto the steel.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This was my option lay a floating 3x2 frame on top of the steel but looking for something lighter than chip-flooring.I had the idea of WBP Ply for loft flooring rather than chipboard,have the problem of getting it in to the space.

Chris

Reply to
Joker7

The usual answer to that is to use flooring chipboard, which comes in much smaller pieces than 4x8, making it good for loft use. WBP works, but I cant see it being any lighter, and its a lot more money.

NT

Reply to
meow2222