Preserving wooden ladder

I've an old wooden ladder that has been exposed a bit to the elements but is otherwise in good condition.

It looks as though it has been painted white in the distant past.

What would be the best way to prolong its life? Wood preserver, undercoat/paint, varnish?

It is likely to continue to be exposed a bit to the elements for a while (ie this winter).

Reply to
AnthonyL

Creosote is the ultimate wood preservative. But it does pong a while.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I would burn it and buy an aluminium one instead. Even well-maintained wooden ladders need careful inspection before use and that does not sound as though it has been well-maintained.

Reply to
Nightjar

+1
Reply to
stuart noble

+1

It is a bad idea to paint a wooden ladder since you then cannot see any rotten wood underneath the opaque surface until it gives way on you at some critical moment when Murphy's Law dictates all hell breaks loose.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Has it got those metal ties between the two sides. Ladders without those do tend to fall to bits when they get old!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And they stop you "unziping" the whole ladder when a rotten rung gives way under you.

Wooden ladders, just don't.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice