preserving whitewood

I've just installed 4.2 metres of 280 X 2000 mm shelving. It's only whitewood, and it's not a thing of beauty, but I'd like to stop it rotting or getting eaten by woodworm, so before I load it up with the usual workshop junk, I want to put some preservative or varnish on it - preferably things readily available, effective and quick-drying. What do the resident experts recommend ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

If you think rot or woodwork is a real threat to it - ie you already have problems in the garage with either then treat it with two coats of the nasty clear smelly solvent based antirot and woodworm treatment and then maybe a coat of tough polyurethane varnish on top.

I would probably only bother doing the latter.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

already

Rot would indicate rather high humidty or a non weather tight shed thus damp timbers. Worm, like rot, don't like dry timber. If the shed is dry I'd not expect either to be a problem and a coat of water based varnish will probably be anough to keep worm out, as the bettles won't like the surface when it comes to laying eggs.

IGBFY? (Is Google Broken For You?)

Cuprinol 5* fits that description (clear rot woodworm treatment) and pops up in the Shop For ... box on the google results page.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

These or a rival formulation if their price is better.

I am loyal to ICI due to employee discount (declaring an interest).

Couldn't spot the high VOC trade only one, but I am fairly sure a Decorators Centre would have it.

You might also want to paint this stuff on anywhere that shows signs of having active woodworm/fungus and/or fumigate with pyrethrum smoke when it is the time of year that the adults fly (available from eBay/Amazon).

Reply to
Martin Brown

+1
Reply to
stuart noble

I recently asked for polyurethane in Wickes - they said they'd never heard of it. One guy was at least 50 and said he'd worked there for years. I walked out wondering which of us had gone mad.

Reply to
Bob Martin