Prepping walls after removing wall paper

Just moved into a house and started on the decorating. I've steamed off two layers of painted wall paper in one room, under which is painted plaster. In some areas I've taken the base paint off as well as the paper so just plaster showing, in others the paint is left there.

Don't think I need to go to the trouble of sanding off all of the paint? But concerned the slight 'edge' between the patches where these is no paint will show through?

There are a couple of scraper 'scars' which I intended to fill with traditional filler.

What prep do I need to do now - will a good base layer suffice, prior to putting on my chosen colour? Or do I need to use the skim finish filler products to smooth it over

Any tips and suggestions please.

Many thanks

Reply to
southview3

Best to skim it with something fine. Filler is good for small areas but you may find you're doing the whole wall, which can get a bit pricey. Wickes ready mixed skim coat is a good compromise if you can't be bothered mixing

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I'm assuming you want to paint the wall now, not wallpaper?

If so, I think you'll need to do something about the surface blemishes or they will show through.... though this does depend on the thickness of the original paint layer (and therefore of the 'edges' of the blemishes) and of the new paint. Possible solutions:

Sanding just the aforementioned 'edges' to minimise the visible ridge;

Sand the whole wall with an orbital sanding machine or similar;

Cover over all the bad bits using filler, or skim the whole wall;

Repaper using a thick grade lining paper, then paint that.

If you're going for options 1-3 it might be worth trying it out a couple of test areas and then painting those with your chosen paint, to see if it's acceptable.

David

Why not just try a test area if you're worried?

Reply to
Lobster

Many thanks - yes test and revise will be the way forward I think. Justdon't want to have to go back over too many steps. Thanks for your suggestions.

Reply to
southview3