Preparing surface for tiling

Jut finishing off the tiling in my kitchen and I have only the window box left to do. The Plaster surface was a bit uneven and raw so I have sealed it with a PVA solution and let it dry.

Suddenly wondered if that was the right thing to do? Or Am I going to have to scrape it back to bare plaster?

Reply to
Rob Horton

IME letting the pva dry doesn't make any difference.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Tile cement has incredible bonding properties, and will probably stick to it OK (at least the powdered stuff; I've never used ready-mixed so I can't comment on that).

When PVAing under plain sand and cement, you should apply the sand and cement to a layer to still tacky PVA. However, tile cement contains its own bonding agents and prefers a dry background, so I think it should be OK on dried PVA, although I wouldn't have put the PVA on in the first place.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel