Preparing lime plaster wall for lining paper and painting

Hi, I would like some advice on preparing an old lime plastered wall, for lining paper. I have removed all the old loose lining paper and paint, but some of the old paper is well stuck do I need to remove all this too? Will it show through if I paper over it?

The old plaster is powdery and some of the top layer have come away with the old paper, do I need to skim this over? and should I use modern finishing plaster or top coat lime plaster?

Before papering do I need to stabilise the plaster surface with some PVA, SBR or a priming coat of emulsion? It's an inside wall so not too damp.

Which grade/brand of lining paper should I use? I was thinking of the thickest 2000 grade will this be difficult to hang and will I need a stronger wallpaper adhesive for it? I am going to brush emulsion paint as the final finish, do the thicker lining papers have any texture to them? as I would like a smooth finish with no texture but don't mind if some of the character of the old plaster shows through. Thanks!

Reply to
Julian

It probably will show through. Wet the paper well, and leave it to soak.

If it's a small area, polyfilla or whatever. Large area - I'd probably mix up some lime putty, chalk, and hair (and yes, I have a stock of all three). The worry with a gypsum skim over lathe and plaster is that it will crack off (lime is *much* more flexible).

That would probably be sensible.

Pass. I've never got the hang of papering - SWMBO does it instead.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

You'll want a flat surface, whether thats easier to obtain by filling or skimming the lot only you can tell. Lime plaster is 2.3 parts sand to 1 builders lime, its cheap, effective, and fairly newbie friendly. The 2 gotchas are that

1 in bulk it can crack, so either resmooth it or refill it later if cracks happen. 2 lime can burn skin, wear thin gloves and wash it off if you get it on you.

NT

Reply to
NT

Thanks for your replies, I already have some premixed fine lime plaster top coat, which is sold locally in tubs, I purchased it a while ago for repairing a lath and plaster ceiling, but haven't used it yet, so I may try this on the wall. Can lime skim coat be used to a feather edge when patching or is there a minimum thickness it needs to be applied in? How long will the lime skim coat take to dry before I can paper the wall? Is it ok to PVA the wall first when using lime plaster?

Reply to
Julian

The (slaked) lime itself will go as thin as you like (that's what limewash is!) The real question is what the lime is mixed with. If it's fine chalk then you should be able to get a feather edge, if it's sharp sand with 2mm particles - then not so much.

Depends how thick it is really. Not long. (It won't be fully carbonated by then, but that can happen through the paper + emulsion).

Yes. In fact I expect it would help.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

oops typo alert, should be 2.5 - 3 parts sand.

thin as you like - unless its got sand in it.

Curing takes place after drying with lime, and it needs to start curing before you do anything with it. Until it starts curing, its very weak. When walls were built with lime mortar this was a real issue, many a wall collapsed as a result of people pressing ahead and building before it cured. If you leave it 2 or 3 days it should be fine, the surface at least will be carbonating.

I'd be more inclined to use a few coats of lime water. That will penetrate deeper, help glue the old lime together, and create one solid properly bonded lump of plaster. Should help the whole thing last better.

NT

Reply to
NT

As we are now several months on from this post, I wondered how the project = went? I am in a similar situation and found this thread very useful. One = question though, why did you want to put up lining paper? Can't lime plast= er be made smooth enough to just paint over, like modern plaster? I'm a ne= wbie so might need this spelled out for me! Thanks.

As we are now several m> Hi, I would like some advice on preparing an old lime plastered wall,

Reply to
kent