Preparing for a new carpet

I have just taken up a rotted foam backed carpet from my study. When I put it down I had followed the advice at the time which was to line the floor with a thick paper.

When I chose a replacement carpet and proper underlay I asked if they still put a paper down first. They said not.

What is the advice of the group? The floor is chipboard. There are some T&G boards near the door that extend from under the bathroom wall.

Will I get any benefit from putting a layer of thick paper on the floor?

Reply to
John

The paper is to stop foam backed carpet sticking to the floor. Not needed if a decent separate underlay is used, but won't do any harm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

nah, but run sealant under the skirting if possible to avoid black edges of dust getting in from the wall to the new carpet. HTH

Reply to
Vass

What sort of underlay are you going to use and how long do you expect it to be down?

If the black rubber crumb stuff with a coarse weave sack cloth carrier I'd put paper down as it will fail into a load of black dust in 10 years or so. The more modern polyurethane foam stuff, I'm not sure of the failure mode (if it has one) but that comes between two plastic films.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I recall we opted not to have the brown wavy foam stuff (Optima) but something better - which I recall is green or black crumb stuff (Traffic)

Reply to
John

Thanks Vass. There is a gap - I was thinking of gettig an expanding foam type of filler rather than a mastic. Any thoughts?

Reply to
John