Preparing exterior surfaces for painting

Hello

I have this paintwork to do:

(Original Link)

Some of the existing paint is flaking as you can see from the pictures, on the garage door frame and the porch post.

So never having done this before, how do I prep this? Scraper?

Will be re-doing the white as white, but the blue is changing to black.

There's also (not pictured) a 'box' thing above a bay window, I think it's fiberglass? Painted in the same blue, that's changing to black as well.

Can I use the same paint for the wooden door, the metal garage door, and the bay window top?

Anything else I should watch out for? Paint brand recommendations? Tips?

I was going to go to Homebase this lunchtime to get paint and brushes. Probably not the cheapest, but certainly the most accessible for me and I'd like to do it this weekend so...

Thanks for any advice :)

Gary

Reply to
HarpingOn

Sander. Then primer.

It normally says this on the tin, but any exterior gloss should be fine.

The 'one coat' products are good & worth the extra.

Not got a Wilkinsons nearby? There own brand paint is very good.

Homebase will be mega expensive.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Argh. Primer. Hoookay. 'Sander' Will be block and paper, I think. Rough grade?

Would i have to prime the door as well, the surface looks okay on that for the most part. The woodwork I can see needs sanding and priming though.

Right.

No, sadly. I might be able to get to a 'local' shed (Maxwells)

Reply to
HarpingOn

Get a selection pack, start with coarser though not necessarily Desperate Dan stuff, progress to medium/finer

Needs at least a fine rub-down to provide a key for the new paint to adhere to.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Okay thanks to you and TMH

Got some shopping to do

Reply to
HarpingOn

Toolstation/Screwfix paints also very good IME.

IMO the door frame is a lost cause paint-wise. Scrape with a chisel or a piece of glass, then sand the odd bits that are left, then a coat of 2 part wood hardener. After that, whatever paint you use will probably last forever

Reply to
stuart noble