Preferred option for new overflow in the bath?

Cleaning the bath this afternoon and the overflow (grille? thingy? - don't know what you call it but it's the bit that the plug chain fastens to, as can be seen in this Screwfix picture here

came loose and would not screw back. Further investigation shows that it never will screw back on because it's the bit with the metal thread insert (captive nut, I suppose) that's broken away from the plastic back bit so I suppose it means putting a new waste in.

Problem is, the side of the bath is tiled so only access is either rip off the side panel and re-tile (plenty spare tiles left by previous owner) or rip down part of the kitchen ceiling and go in from there - all for a 12 quid waste!!! :o(

What's the preferred method chaps? Or indeed, does anyone have any better ideas?

TIA

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Make a new plug from an old one with a length of pipe inserted up to normal overflow level and block off the old overflow hole. Then you have an overflow and plug with a handle. And a conversation point with visitors! Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin dangling via a don

Love it :o)

Reply to
Pete Zahut

> came loose and would not screw back. Further investigation shows that it

Just be careful which end you sit -oooooooooo-

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Could you glue it back on with Araldite? it helps if you roughen the two bits with some fine sandpaper first.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

That would be my first line of attack. This stuff is awesome

The Medway Handyman

I'm having a blonde, brain-freeze moment here. Did you mean try to Araldite the captive nut in place chaps, or did you mean glue the pipe assembly to the back face of the bath?

I could try to Araldite the captive nut back in place but it's a bit awkward. I'm having to use surgical clamps to stop it falling away as it is but a bit of "keyhole surgery" may do the trick :o) Captive nut position arrowed here:

sealant looks good Dave but there's no way I could get glue on the back and hold it in place, square against the back face of the bath, long enough for the glue to set.

Sorry to be so thick :o)

Reply to
Pete Zahut

It's not the best time to sell the house either.

Reply to
1501

Did that to a shower tray outlet that came loose some years ago (I suspect the plastic nut jumped a thread). It's been fine

Reply to
newshound

Put some silicone sealant around the inside edge of the hole and, using your Spencer Wells forceps in the hole, pull the backing plate onto the hole. Allow to set for a day. This will hold it in place while you do the rest.

Cover the bolt with a thin but complete film of silicone grease (NOT sealant). Mix some quite thick epoxy or car body filler (a cure second only to an angle grinder) and gently push it through and around the hole. Try to build it up around the back. Tape the waste in place and gently screw the grease coated bolt into the filler. Leave until very well set and then tighten the bolt gently and remove the tape.

Reply to
Peter Parry

What a brilliant idea Peter. Thanks for that my friend :o)

Reply to
Pete Zahut