Preferences for Wiring Accessories

I need to replace a single 13 amp socket with a fused outlet. As there are

3 cables in the socket I would appreciate your advice on whether any makes of accessories are better than others at accomodating 3 cables - or are they all similar now?
Reply to
DerbyBorn

All more or less the same really. Fused outlet and three T&E rally needs a 35mm back box. I've just done one in a 25mm box and it was very tight. I could not find one where the wire came out the front of the plate which would have left more room.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

On Wednesday 31 July 2013 20:36 DerbyBorn wrote in uk.d-i-y:

All accessories can take 3 2.5mm2 cables by design (it's in the standards somewhere, I think). This has been true forever more of less.

What buggers you up is the despth of the backbox. 35mm is easy. 25mm deep is usually OK but can get a little cramped depending on how the cables come in and the size of the accessory gubbins.

Are you taking the fused load cable out the back as twin+earth? Don't forget you can make that cable smaller - eg 1.5mm2 as it is fused at 13A or less.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@squidward.local.dionic.net:

I want the cable to come out of the back (side knock-out) - it is a feed to a cooker hood. Currently it is a plug socket but I want to hide it behind something so I want a flat plate fused spur. The box is 35mm and is fairly well recessed.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

When I needed a 2-gang, 2-way switch plate to take rather a lot of wires I remembered that an MK Logic Plus had angled terminals, so I got the switch - much easier than standard teminals.

BTW, at one time the SF page for the unswitched sockets in the same range claimed them to be double pole!

Reply to
PeterC

I quite liked a double 13 amp socket that I bought recently because the three terminal screws could all be accessed from the top.

Reply to
Michael Chare

The TLC GET Ultimate range usually have nice wide square terminals that make 3 or 4 wires relatively easy.

Reply to
John Rumm

+1 A decent MK socket can save 10s of minutes of complete frustration. In the past I've used sockets of a lesser design and found them extremely difficult to fit, especially if there isn't of wire in the back box.
Reply to
alan