'Precision Ball Level' - Anyone got or used one?

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bruce saying something like:

Exactly so. I used one to put in a floor from scratch where the level was fairly important because of a floor-level window at one end. At the time laser levels were still fairly pricey and this cost about 3 quid for the aquarium air tubing. Worked a treat, and I suppose it's possible there might be up to 3mm error, in practice it's certainly not noticeable.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Bob Minchin explained :

I agree, it limited ability to even be able to read it with any accuracy - makes it nothing more than a gimmick.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

A dash of liquid soap mixed with the water overcomes the surface tension and I don't recall ever having a problem with viscosity.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

True. A 3mm error across a floor - of almost any size - shouldn't present a problem.

I doubt you would get any better accuracy with a laser level.

Several years ago I tried a domestic laser level - Black and Decker - and found it was about 10mm out over 7 metres. To make matters worse, it was sealed and therefore non-adjustable. Annoying!

Reply to
Bruce

We came across this when I was working in the aerospace industry. 8 hangars were built for the US airforce for WWII and development moved into one.

We had to do a test called symmetry and alignment which consisted screwing balls into designated points on the aircraft and using two theodolights and a telescope, along with a rule to hook, or hang from the balls to measure the straightness, or not of the aircraft. This was done so that if it suffered exccess G or had a heavy landing, it could be determined what had got bent, if anything.

With the hangar being fairly close to a tidal river, the concrete floor rafts would rise and fall with the tides.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Dennis, the common consensus here is that you are the group idiot

Reply to
geoff

I know you are arrogant but do you really think you and a couple of other idiots represents the group consensus. I don't as they are almost certainly more intelligent than you.

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Not possible dennis

Reply to
geoff

Arrogant and ignorant could possibly be suitable descriptive words.

I have recently had an accident according to the guy who wears the funny clothes in this village. I competently avoided one with forward planning.

Some of VI's recent comments have been most interesting. In his capacity as the local jester, I'm sure that he has worn a plantpot or two.

Reply to
Clot

Oh yes I forgot you intended to hit the kerb.

Reply to
dennis

On Feb 20, 12:18 am, "Andrew Mawson"

We've got loads of mercury:

Matty F

fringes

spirit

something more exotic?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Yes a mercury arc rectifier. There's a few litres of mercury in each of four. The power cable between the two main island of NZ uses them also, plus the Wellington trolley bus system.

Reply to
Matty F

I'm confused. I see why viscosity would make it _slow_ but why would the levels not settle down in the end? It's not as if it was grease.

This is why I use a Cowley. It was my grandfather's.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ