Pozidrive screws and suitable drivers

I have a very old Pozidrive screwdriver that grips Pzd screws (they are the ones with a cross slot in the screwhead with another faint cross marked on the head, aren't they?) perfectly and allows easy one handed positioning of said screws.

None of the Pozidrive bits that I have bought for my cordless driver have -ever- properly gripped Pzd screws. They have always been slightly too long and touched the bottom of the Pzd depression in the screwhead before the sides have gripped. Almost as if I'm trying to use a Phillips drivers with a Pzd screw. But the bits are all marked up Pzd

1, 2 or 3 and are quite different from my Phillips bits. Is there a manufacturer of true Pzd bits out there anywhere?

It doesn't seem to matter whose screws or bits I use - they don't grip.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

I've never had any problems with bit made by Snap-On for their magnetic screw-drivers. Not cheap but they do work IME.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Wera bits in a magnetic/clic holder work very well (screwfix sell them). Or the anti cam out rib bits by snap on are extremely good too.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I meant to add, that these bits work well regardless of being use as magnetic bits or not.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Have you tried grinding the tip off so that they don't bottom in the screw?

Reply to
Set Square

Mind reader! As I was composing my original question, exactly what you suggest occured to me. Funny how often gathering your thoughts enough to present a semi coherent question leads one to a solution. I'll try a bit of grinding and report back ;-)

Ta

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Pozidriv is a registered design. I've a feeling some blades are a get round of that patent. You'll notice few actaully mention Pozidriv.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is this some vague strangeness between true Pozidrive and Prodrive that Screwfix (for one) sell?

So grind the tip off. ah, I see you've already thought of that as you type. I do that as well...

Pozidrive/Prodrive is a cross with the inner angles removed with another square. Philips is a plain cross. The driver for Pozi/Pro has another ridge between the large blades to engage in the inner angle cut out. Philips is just plain between the "blades".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Pozidriv was around in the 1960s: registered design status lasts for a maximum of 25 years and patents for 20 years. Anyone is free to use the design principles now - but not the name, since registered trade marks can be kept in force /ad infinitum/.

A quick look on the Patent Office's web site shows that the application for Pozidriv (R) was filed in June '65. Both Pozidriv and Supadriv now belong to Trifast PLC.

Reply to
Andy Wade

A few years ago Stanley did a range of Pozidriv screwdrivers with dark blue moulded plastic handles. I always found these to be excellent, and also have a ratchet #2 size pozi in the same range. That was a fantastic tool and always fitted heads really well, never slipped out etc. I've still got it but after years of constant use it's starting to get a bit worn. What saddened me was that

(a) I couldn't find a replacement pozi #2 ratchet screwdriver at all (yes, loads of interchangeable bit jobbies but when 90% of the time I'm using pozi #2 thats not what I want and they don't seem to have the same solid feel as a single head driver)

(b) I haven't found any drivers that can match the fit of the old blue handle stanley range (certainly not a new stanley one I tried which seemed to be "size 2.5".

If anyone knows of anyone with a secret stock of the old blue handle pozi ratchet drivers, I'd hapilly buy a few!

Reply to
Al