powering a tv aerial amplifier

Where i live the tv reception is poor. I want to strenghthen the signal using a multi-outlet aerial booster, problem is I only have a lighting circuit in the loft, is it possible to run the booster from this circuit or will i need to run a spur from the floor below?

Reply to
staffo

I fitted a double 13A socket up there for the amp, which has proved useful on occasions.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Perfectly ok - they only take a few watts. Use a FCU with a suitable fuse rather than a plug and socket, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can get antenna amplifiers which take their power feed from the coax. You plug a power supply into the mains and the coax somewhere convenient.

Reply to
Huge

More than adequate current-wise.

Probably terribly not part P or something :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

|!In article , |! staffo wrote: |!> Where i live the tv reception is poor. I want to strenghthen the |!> signal using a multi-outlet aerial booster, problem is I only |!> have a lighting circuit in the loft, is it possible to run the |!> booster from this circuit or will i need to run a spur from the |!> floor below? |! |! I fitted a double 13A socket up there for the amp, |! which has proved useful on occasions.

I also fitted a 13 amp socket on a spur from the ring main in the loft. It gets used for the new amplifier, also for other purposes.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I fitted a small 5amp round pin socket in my loft - off the lighting circuit in readiness for an aerial installer coming to fit a new aerial and distribution amplifier. However, he installed one which was powered via the COAX from a power supply box at the TV set end.

Reply to
John

You can indeed. But I've not seen multi-outlet ones; they all seem to come with a built in PSU and a mains cable.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have a four-output masthead unit powered via one of the coax downleads here. Made by Antiference.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes - a head amp. But designed to be mounted at the aerial itself? I've not seen a DA like that - although I suppose it's possible. DAs often supply the 'phantom' power for a head amp, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Steve Firth

Just spur it off the lighting circuit to a 13A socket, label socket something like 3A only and plug in amplifier. Not really compliant etc etc but quick and easy and works.

All those people who say fit a proper fused spur etc etc, why ? I plugged my loft amplifer in 7 years ago and not needed to use the socket for anything else.

Why do you need such power in the loft from the ring main, when ever I have done major work in the loft I have always run an extenstion lead from the mains upstairs for the period of the job (usually just fan and 150W light to work with).

Reply to
Ian_m

Labgear make a series designed to be installed in inaccessible locations or locations without power and supplied via the downlead.

Steve Firth