Powering a mains radio from a lighting circuit.. Permissible?

As title really, using a round pin 5a plug & socket?

Would it cause bother on a periodic inspection or some survey or other further down the line?

TIA

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

"It was like that when we moved here". ;-)

Cant see why there should be a problem with it. Perfectly acceptable for a table lamp with a switched feed. Dunno if you're thinking of a permanently live unswitched feed.

Or,

;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message , JimK writes

A surveyor certainly would not check the electrical sockets, and which circuit fed them. Don't worry about it.

We moved into a new house in 1954, and there was a special socket above the mantelpiece, for a clock. Memory suggests that was fed from the lighting ring.

Reply to
News

2A sockets and indeed that clock socket you mention are designed to be fed from the lighting circuits. So personally, I'd stick a 2A in and if asked it's for a standard lamp.

If you happen to plug a radio in, so be it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Perfectly acceptable to have a 5 amp 3 pin plug and socket on a lighting circuit for say a table light so it can be switched from the door. What you actually plug into it doesn't much matter, provided the current draw is within the limit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its fully compliant

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

/"It was like that when we moved here". ;-)

Cant see why there should be a problem with it. Perfectly acceptable for a table lamp with a switched feed. Dunno if you're thinking of a permanently live unswitched feed. /Q

Mmm ideally would be permanently live to allow radio function independent of light circuit. Thought I'd nick it from the lighting loop...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

It would not bother me if it was a 13A socket as long as it was labelled up as "Radio only"

I have fiited several TV amp power points from the lighting circuit but used

13A sockets as the amp had a wall wart - same for plinth lights.

BTW switched 5A lighting sockets are making a comeback on a lot of the work I do.

Reply to
ARW

perfectly effective, but not compliant

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Would you care to mention with what it fails to comply?

Reply to
John Rumm

So what are you asking here? I've used a clock point for this as well as a bayonet connector in the past. You just hide it when you are getting inspected. The point I'd worry about is fusing in case the psu or the cable whent phut. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

/It would not bother me if it was a 13A socket as long as it was labelled up as "Radio only"

I have fiited several TV amp power points from the lighting circuit but used

13A sockets as the amp had a wall wart - same for plinth lights.

BTW switched 5A lighting sockets are making a comeback on a lot of the work I do. /Q

Thanks all.

Just realised that the 5A plugtops don't have fuses in... Presume it all relies on the lighting circuit mcb/fuse?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Pukka clock connectors had a fuse in the plug - same as 13 amp.

ISTR reading about 15 amp three pin plugs with fuses too - would likely be possible to make a 5 amp with one too, if it hasn't already been done.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

BBC RD used 5A 3 pin fused plugs in the 1960s/70s. I think I have the odd one somewhere from when the labs were rewired to 13A.

Reply to
Charles Hope

There's a YouTube video that shows an old three pin 15A plug, using a fuse as one of the "pins"....

Reply to
Lee

Some do -

. Though at 10 quid each I doubt if many sell.

Though the fuse is somewhat superfluous, assuming the socket is installed on a circuit with a 5A fuse or 6A mcb.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Yes, we had those at TV Centre for protected supplies. Made by Dorman & Smith (D&S).

Reply to
Charles Hope

I'd guess that is actually a D&S, which is a 13 amp variant, for use on the same 13 amp ring circuits. At one time, there wasn't just the one design of plug and socket

Luckily, the D&S fell out of favour. It was a lethal design. Much used by local councils in an attempt to electrocute their problem tenants.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

certainly in the'60s you could buy the fuses in Selfridges. That was when it was a real department store.

Reply to
Charles Hope

Ah yes, it was 13A. Link to Youtube:

Has a lot of other videos that may be of interest.

Reply to
Lee