Power washers, I didn't know that

I expect everyone else did. I decided to use water from my butt to wash the car using a power washer. When I had finished I was amazed at how little water has been used, in my ignorance I thought they would use more than just a hose, but in fact use far less.

Reply to
Broadback

Doesn't your arse get sore shoving a pipe up it all the time?

;-)

Reply to
George

I didn't know either until we used ours for the first time. There's no reason we should know :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Careful with the tyres. There was some evidence produced last year(?) that side walls can be damaged.

It is obvious, just look at the size of the puddles. It falls into the same category as dishwashers use more water than hand washing and windmills save energy, myths.

Reply to
dennis

They can also take off paint if you go for the narrowest jet. This was a particularly bad problem with some of the first water-based car paints (don't know if they've solved it since). I always fan the jet to some degree when washing the car. Mainly I'm using it as a pump to pump water from the water butt, rather than as a high pressure washer.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I did already know but it never ceases to make my blood boil when, after 3 days of sunshine the water companies start bleating about water shortages and ban the use of pressure washers.

John

Reply to
John

I don't understand what you said but don't bother explaining.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

How are you still alive?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And don't blast out all the lubricants from the bearings!

Reply to
Mark

Cos I'm a roughie-toughie northern lad and not a southern-softie :o)

Reply to
John

Um. I'm a northern lass ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Urban myth - totally impossible.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Oh, I beg to differ... Wheel bearings are a consumable on the 4x4 2cv conversions, because they're just not sealed against water sufficiently. No non-4x4's bearings will be designed for that kind of water ingress.

Whether it's EASY to get that much water to the bearings is another question - but I really wouldn't put it past some ham-fister numpty with a B&Q Karcher to manage.

Reply to
Adrian

That is the raison detre of a pressure washer. They were invented & developed in Denmark & Germany where water was & still is an expensive comodity. The original sales argument was 'clean with less water', not 'clean faster/better'.

When supplied by the mains it can't use more water - it can only use up to the maximum flow of the mains supply - typically HPC's use 80% less water per task.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

He'd have to be really determined.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The Medway Handyman explained :

Oh yes it can.... The mains water pressure is 'pushing' against the atmosphere reducing it's flow rate. Remove the atmospheric pressure (suck) and much more water will flow. That is how a fire engine gets much more water out of a hydrant, than you would expect.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The myth started years ago with the original steam cleaning machine like the Wickham Handy Dandy. These things had no pressure pump as such, just a pump that took water from a tank into a diesel/paraffin fired coil type heat exchanger. The pressure was developed by the water turning into steam & leaving through a nozzle.

These things had no trigger guns to shut them off and no auto ignition - a paraffin soaked rag on a stick lit the boiler.

The enourmous temperatures generated would melt grease out of bearing quite easily and could strip/flatten paint.

I doubt you could force a significant amount of lubricant out of a bearing with a 'peanut performance' DIY cold machine if you tried.

I spent 30 years selling machines that had 3 to 10 times the performance of a DIY machine & never came across a single example of this, nor did I ever hear of a reported case.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Great pictures of a 'Handy Dandy' here

is how presure washers started folks :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, but you could easily force water in.

Reply to
Adrian