Power tool bargain alert!

Argos have some power tools on clearance as their new catalog is out.

A few that might be worth a look:

I've had the circular saw for a couple of years and it's worked very well.

I've also just bought a 9" grinder from Toolstation for more £££ than the above one >;(((

The Argos grinder has a soft start switch, unlike the TS one, other than that it's essentially the same.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Who can argue with the price of the mitre saw.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Small blade, but non-too fine toothed, so limited use, but yes - for £12.99!

Reply to
Mike Dodd

You buy a *Good* blade for it,the motor only turns the blade. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Incidently this is a bargain for changing the blade for a metal cutting disc as I did with a cheapo taiwan effort of the same ilk.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Come on, this is uk-diy. They'll be along shortly to tell you it can't possibly be any good.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Now there's an idea...

Reply to
Mike Dodd

that mitre be a bargain

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Cheaper than the bus fare to A&E....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Have you actually ever bought one of these cheap power tools MrHall?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Us plebs on the National Health Service have these things called Ambulances.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Funny you say that, I bought another brand that looks identical to this, and the fence broke quite explosively. I was going easy on it as well.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

But if it turned out to be no good I wouldnt half be saw.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

All that's required is to look, touch and walk away. Not very difficult.

This particular mitre saw has a very flimsy guard which sticks. That makes it dangerous because the temptation is to attempt to free it, perhaps with the blade still revolving.

The blade is too small to do much useful work and has too few teeth for crosscutting - the primary function of the saw.

No wonder it's being discontinued - I'm surprised they sold any.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On one that I looked at, the guard mechanism stuck. This is highly dangerous because either the saw will plunge suddenly or the user will be tempted to free it, possibly with the blade revolving.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I don't think any person should be working with *any* revolving saw,with them thoughts in mind,if thats the case.

Never heard of changing the blade for a superior one?

I have one only difference is I bought in a car boot. Works quite well with a metal cutting disc on it.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Matt, I see you know the price of that.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It also doesnt open soon enough during plunge. But removing it solves that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Its a bit crude but they do work. The cut quality was sufficient, though not the finest. No way I'd buy one today but at the time it was a critical cashflow moment, and it did the job. It was either that or the handheld circ, which would have done a poor job.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You would be surprised at what people do.

Yes, but there's no point because the blade would cost 3-4x the price of the saw, and it's still a crap saw.

Geez......

Do you have a season ticket for A&E?

Reply to
Andy Hall