Power switched off at mains but still power to sockets

Hi, first time posting on here so apologies in advance if I ramble on a bit.

I have a fault on my mains as the fuse keeps blowing every time I switch on power at the mains. I was told there is probably a fault on the circuit and that to isolate the fault I would have to go from socket to socket, taking out a red and blue wire and switching power back on. If fuse doesn't blow then the circuit is ok up to that point. To try this I switched off power at the mains and removed the circuit breaker. I unscrewed the socket cover and tested the socket and there is still power going to it. My tester is lighting up like a Christmas tree.I would welcome any advice on this matter.

Reply to
Tony

Tony

Reply to
Tony

What sort of a tester are you using? And do you know if a previous resident has illegally bypassed the meter, or stupidly switched his wiring circuits somehow?

I am supposing you have not removed the cooking or lighting breakers too. In which case why not try removing them too?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

In their most recent outburst: Tony ranted:

you need to call either the electricity board or an electrician. asap.

Reply to
.

I don't know of the history regarding the previous resident unfortunately. The tester is screwdriver type that lights up. I took out all the breakers as you suggested and there is no change. I'm getting worried now!

Reply to
Tony

Notoriously unreliable :-(

Reply to
Andy Burns

It sounds like you don't really know enough to be doing meaningful fault finding.

I'd either wander round google a bit, looking for a site detailing electrics, or pop down your local bookstore, and find a DIY book that covers electrics.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Red and blue? Removing circuit breaker but still live?

I'd advise getting in an electrician, I'm afraid. Best to start learning with basics before attempting more complicated stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Throw the tester away. They are dangerous and useless. They give false positives and false negatives with equal abandon.

I'm afraid this is one of those cases where you have insufficient test equipment and experience to safely conduct the tests required. I would recommend finding an electrician and commissioning a "Periodic Test Report".

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Neon tester?

That can light up in the presence of a long piece of wire near a radio station, or alien invasion.

Get an electricain in..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yeah I know! Sorry, red & black. Just had a dizzy moment and couldn't figure out how to edit my post :-)

Reply to
Tony

Seeing as the ring should be a ring then I don't see how removing wires from a single socket would isolate it anyway.

Did you unplug all of your appliances?

Reply to
adder1969

You can't csrry out meaningful tests and checks using only a neon screwdriver-tester. You should also be using at least a test lamp or meter as well.

On the face of it, you may have reverse polarity on one or more circuits, combined possibly with an earth fault. There could even be a (remote) chance of neutral inversion.

Not wishing to appear rude, but you don't seem too happy or confident to do a meaningful fault location, so call in an electrician SAP, before it's too late.....

Reply to
The Wanderer

Yes, all appliances stitched off. Nothing plugged into sockets and sockets switched off.

Reply to
Tony

"Tony" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

"What I tell you three time is true"

Hunting of the Snark - and all politicians!

mike

Reply to
mike

On 16 Nov 2006 01:51:22 -0800 someone who may be "Tony" wrote this:-

Which fuse are you talking about? Presumably one that protects a socket outlet circuit.

Unless it is a radial circuit this will tell you nothing.

If the fuse blows when everything is unplugged from the circuit, or switched off in the case of fixed equipment, then there is a fault with the circuit.

As others have said, you don't appear to have the necessary skills to test the circuit effectively and safely. Time to find someone who does.

Reply to
David Hansen

Completely agree. Do what Christain suggests before you kill yourself or burn the house down.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm getting a spark in to have a look at it, thanks to everybody for the advice :-)

Reply to
Tony

Yeah I know, I have very little knowledge in this department. Had an electrician in last week regarding the fuse blowing but he said he didn't have the time to check the circuit and suggested testing it myself using the method I mentioned above. The neon tester may be unreliable but it probably saved me from getting a shock. Without it I would have taken out the wires with a current running through them. Supposedly he is a qualified electrician but I doubt that a professional would have given me the above advice. Bloody cowboys, you just can't trust anyone nowadays :-(

Reply to
Tony