Power shower removal

We are having a problem with the power shower. I have electrically disconnected both ends of the supply cable and removed the control knobs, but the plumbing part of it has me beat.

The shower case is a push fit onto the hot and cold copper pipes and then screwed onto the wall. I have removed the three screws that are shown in the paperwork and I read that I should push back 2 grey collars and the case should come off the pipes. No matter how I push the collars I can't get the case off the pipes. Is there a knack, or have the push fit connectors jammed up?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

All the showers I have fitted like this came with a tool for disengaging the collars. A piece of plastic with two Slots that go over the pipes so that both collars can be pushed back *at the same time*. It should be relatively simple.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

If they are like JG Speedfit then there is indeed a knack. The stainless steel teeth in the fitting need to be disengaged, which is what pushing the collars should do, but I've found you need to PUSH them further on, against the o-ring to clear the teeth from the pipe. It's only a very small push, but without it the teeth stick in the copper.

It's also vital to push the collar in all round at once. There is a special tool for some pushfit fittings.

The pic at the bottom of this page is helpful.

TheOldFellow

Thanks There is no mention of a tool, just to push the collars back away from the direction the pipes come in from. I know it works, as I had to do this when I fitted it some years ago. I forgot to mention it is a Mirage Showerforce.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've given it a go, but the pipes are not budging. I'll try again after we have eaten.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Can you cut the pipe off below, and worry about getting the ends out of the shower later?

Reply to
John Rumm

I suspect that the fault might not be repairable, so that is an option to look at.

Every time I am in that room and looking at the shower, I can see the enormous amount of work to recover the job, if we have to get a new shower pump :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Chop off the pipes low enough and fit service valves to cap them. That way you can reinstate quickly if needed ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

When we had the bathroom done, the plumber didn't like the gate valves I had used to isolate the bathroom and he told me he was going to remove them. I told him that I had to be able to isolate she shower when I wanted to, so he put a pair of valves behind the bath panel (the shower is over the tap end of the bath.)

I'll not be doing the job, so I'll have a word with the plumber about options first.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Dave