Power shower pump question

My old (at least 8 years - bought as a kit from Texas, now Homebase) power shower pump has given up the ghost, and I am in the market for a new one. Brief research suggests that my options include a dual impeller 1.5bar pump or a dual impeller 2bar pump. The difference is about £50. The labels suggest that the 2bar pump is for a bathroom and en suite bedroom shower. The old one was 1.5 bar, (and plastic throughout) but I fancy a bigger shower head. Is it worth shelling out the extra for a 2bar pump? The old one worked fine with a smaller (3 inch) head.

Also - I notice that some pumps are plastic, with plastic screw fittings. Is it worth buying the brass fitting versions (usually at least £20 extra).

I will not be using any en-suite shower. This is just for a single bathroom power shower (but I want it to be good!)

Any suggestions welcomed.

Reply to
Bioboffin

That's really not a bad life for an ordinary shed pump. After getting through two or three of these in ten years or so I just went for a proper all-brass Stuart Turner. Much quieter, and loads of oomph. I think mine is a

3 bar, but I've wound the revs down a little with a thyristor. If the 1.5 bar was only OK with a smaller head and you want to go up in size I'd go for 2 bar.
Reply to
newshound

Alternatively for a much nicer pump for shed-like prices I like the Salamanders that Screwfix do (or did - I haven't looked recently) for £100.

Reply to
YAPH

Agreed, when my second New Team packed up I replaced it with the Salamander from Screwfix and its a much superior piece of equipment, quiet and reliable.

Peter.

Reply to
PJK

These are the standard pumps offered by B&Q although they cost a bit more now.

Reply to
Bioboffin

Well, maybe I should have mentioned that we hope to move in the next two years. I went for a grundfos Watermill Nile 1.5 Bar Twin Impeller Positive Head Regenerative Shower Pump - PWGR0029 £137.97 at Plumbworld.

claims to be quiet, has a two year guarantee (!) and is a lot cheaper than those wonderful-looking Stuart Turner pumps. It also has the option of

15mm pipework, which I have.

Anyway, thanks to each and everyone who replied to this post.

Reply to
Bioboffin