Power screwdriver recommendation?

My trusty B&D driver doesn't hold charge anymore, and needs replacing (although I haven't yet investigated options as to getting the battery replaced). Can anyone recommend a replacement? Similar questions have been asked before, but previous threads seem to soon diverge into discussing the merits of cordless drill/driver combinations.

I'm looking for a *light* driver with torque control. Although this will be used for driving into wood, etc, more often than not it'll be used around the house. I lose track of the number of times that I've been using this fully stretched or in tight corners, and so for this reason I

*don't* want a combination drill/driver - just a standard straight or angled driver.

Given that this tool has been by far the most useful tool I've ever bought, I'm prepared to spend to get the right replacement. Previous threads have mentioned the Matabo at (gulp) ~£70. Does this have variable speed (trigger sensitive I presume)? Variable speed is the only thing I miss on my existing driver. Is it possible to get this feature on a standard driver?

Many thanks in advance for any response, Mike.

Reply to
Mike Atkinson {reply address i

I realise that you don't want to spend too much but sometimes it pays to buy a better product if it really does last a lot longer, I have had lots of drill/drivers over the last 25 years for both work and home use but only one stands out as being superb and that is the Makita 6095 (now the 6096 £99.99 at Screwfix) I bought this tool many years ago and it is still going strong and is in regular use.

The driver comes with two batteries so one is never stuck when the power runs out and it always does the jobs I give it to do, I have several cheaper models IMHO they are useless after using the 6095.

The Makita has outlasted all of my other drill/driver purchases and TBH I am considering buying the 6096 as a second tool.

I am not 'knocking' other good makes of driver such as Dewalt etc and they are probably as decent as the Makita, but I have not tried them.

John.

Reply to
druid