Power Planers

Hi,

I have read the previous planer thread, which had some good words about the Ferm planer.

About to place an order with Screwfix (did it always have a 'packing and handling' extra charge?) but cross checked with Argos catalogue.

The Ferm FP82 is £20.99 and the Challenge planer from Argos is £19.50.

The specs seem very similar (650w etc.) but the Ferm one looks to have a parallel guide as well.

No mention if the blades are TCT (so presumably not).

Any comparative experience?

TIA Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

err.. PS..

The JCB power planer (£34.99 at Argos) mentions a rebate facility.

A while since I looked at planers, but do some have the blade coming right up to one edge (so you can rebate a piece of wood with the cut less than the full width of the blade, or to more than the maximum cut possible on a single pass) and others just have the blade in the middle so you can only plane to the maximum blade depth? Having trouble visualising this - I guess with the blade up to one edge you can rebate more than the full cutting depth of the blade by doing several passes along the edge. Then again, I have a router.....

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

My old B&D planer has its blades going right up to one edge - and allows rebating to be carried out. It has an adjustable guide which can be attached to the bottom which controls the width of cut.

However, using it for rebating is far from an exact science - and it is very difficult to get an even depth all the way along when making multiple passes. I imagine that a router would do a far better job.

Reply to
Set Square